10' SOF Kayak out of PVC and tarp | SouthernPaddler.com

10' SOF Kayak out of PVC and tarp

Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum by showing y'all my skin on frame kayak. Being cheap and generally liking to do things my own way, I figured I'd make it out of PVC and tarp. So, without further ado, you can view and read about my kayak here: http://duncanbojangles.dyndns.org:8080/kayak.html.

I've finished my 12' plywood sailboat but don't have a way of getting it back out of the water once I put it in so it's been sittin' out in the rain until I build cart for it, go figure.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Helluva idea! All us died in the wool, sticks in the mud geezers would tell you it can't be done, and dismiss you. Good on ya for going ahead and doing it. Black Dog Joel will chime in here mo sukoshe; listen to what he says about skin on stick boats.

I saw, once, an emergency boat made of willow sticks and a rain fly. You weave several round "wreaths" of willow, two or three of them about 3' diameter for the cockpit. About 2 that are 2' and 4 that are 1' in diameter. these become the cross sections of the frame. They will be connected with long sticks (longerons) along the edges. The bow and stern are made of two of the1' diameter rings that are rigged in line with the keel.

The rain fly is wrapped around and fastened with snap in grommets (the large, plastic kind) and it is supposed to get you out of the wilderness.

You have a better idea. Have you reinforced the outside of the skin over framing members with the handyman's secret weapon - DUCT TAPE?

I haven't reinforced the skin, per se, I've patched it. :) I thought about running some duct tape along the skin where it meets the framing members, but in all honesty I just couldn't muster up the excitement to do it. Instead, I just take out the boat and patch it up if I ever run into anything submerged that manages to poke a hole. I haven't needed to patch up the skin since I put the foam insulation on the pipes, anyway.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I agree with you, Cat. Him and our guy who does the original dugouts are the most imaginative here. It's been said that everything in the world was don e two kinds of folks. Those that knew how to do it, and those that didn't know it couldn't be done.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Good day Mick , the emergency boat your talking about did you see it in action. The shape you,re talking about is it round like a fishing tube? Hope I don,t ever need one. :)

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
'Twas me, Cat, not that good lookin' Aussie. Didn't see the boat in action. Round wreaths were flattened a bit into an oval at the cockpit area to provide a semi-rounded bottomed hull configuration. Much more stable than a round tube.