1/4" LAUAN $24 a Sheet? | SouthernPaddler.com

1/4" LAUAN $24 a Sheet?

fenix1

Apr 21, 2012
Noble, Louisiana
Went Saturday to get Lauan @$12.02 a sheet. Loaded it on top of my Chevy Tahoe and strapped it down with 2 bungy cords and then tied some nylon cord over it from the back to the front bumper. Drove 45mph back to the house bout 8 miles away. Bout halfway back heard a loud bang bout like a shotgun going off. Looked in my side mirror and saw Lauan flying everywhere! Both sheets busted 2' from the front end right where the bungy had been. Had 4 pieces...2 bout 6' and 2 2'. Ruined! Opened backdoor of my SUV and shoved em' in. After i got in and looked back dawned on me that the danged things would have fit IN the truck with about a foot behind my head! Going to go back to the store in bout 3 days as it's supposed to rain for the next 3 day here in west central Louisiana get 2 more sheets AND shove em' IN the truck...HA Ha Ha Ha! Will saw 3 2' sections by 4' and tack em to my 3 sawhorses so i'll have more surface area for support and a better surface to make my "joints". Got some 3/4" x 1 1/2" for my outer rub rail and a 3' keel and some 3/8" x 1 3/8" for the inner.
Also went to Wal-Mart Saturday and got all my "finishing" stuff. Got 60, 180, and 320 grit sandpaper(bunches), masking tape, 1qt of "Rustoleum" Gloss Forest Green oil based Enamel, 1qt of "ColorPlace" "Teal "(had it mixed)color acrylic latex for the inside, and a 1/2 pint of Minwax clear polyurethane for the Rubrails. A quart of Acetone. Got a quart of Elmer professional wood glue cause i've built stuff out of it over the years and once it cures it'd take a sledge hammer to break it. Like UJ says it's just to hold it together till ya glass it anyways. Also a package of 3/8" Screw Eyes to put in the inwales to tye stuff off with. Got a 10' joint of 3" PVC to use as clamps(great idea on here).
Ordered stuff from US Composites outta Florida last Wednesday(shipped Thursday)and Kit from UJ's Thursday. Got my stuff from USC today.(Probably get UJ's tomorrow) I was like a little kid opening up his Christmas present. Got 1 1/2 gal of Polyester resin and the hardener, 50yds of 3" tape. 5 yds of 30" cloth, 4 ea of 2" and 4" brushes, a 5" (1/2") Roller for the tape and cloth, 10 quart mixing buckets, 50 mixing sticks, and 4 4" squeeges. Also at Walmart got a 4' Attwood paddle and a cheap molded plastic seat. The seat has 4 screw holes in the bottom to mount on a base but just putting it in the boat my "butt" will be exactly 1" off the bottom exactly where i want to keep it! Ha Ha Ha Ha...know this is kinda long but am really excited bout this. Am a 60 year old disabled Vet and was divorced lil over 5 years ago. Haven't been this excited since then. Am so looking forward to this. Want to Thank ALL of you for all the suggestions, tips, and info that i've gotten here, hopefully will be building in a few days and after everything "cures" will have my *** out there on Toledo Bend Reservoir first week of March...fish are already starting to bite! This will be my first build so am going to take plenty of pictures and post the here when i'm finished so i hopefully get some pointers on how better to do things come my second! Ha Ha Ha Ha...think this may be addictive!

fenix1

Apr 21, 2012
Noble, Louisiana
Thanks "Kayak Jack"...just a few more days after the rain clears out. Taken me almost 10 months to finally get this show on the road. On a limited income and seems like every time these past months i'd get ready to order my stuff my Truck would tear up, my electricity bill would jump, or one of my kids would "hit me up". Finally! Learned long ago preparation is everything(Army Ranger). Been going through postings past few days here on "Old Sparkeys" and going over things in my mind. Including all the possible "what ifs". Gonna take my time as it seems i have plenty of it nowadays and try and do everything according to plans and recommendations from all of ya. As they say here in the South...think she's gonna be "purdy"! Ha Ha Ha Ha...