wood kayak paddle breakdown options | SouthernPaddler.com

wood kayak paddle breakdown options

Scooter

About to start making an 8-foot double ended paddle, all wood. Hopefully I can find some hardware to make it collapsable. Sure would make for easier hauling.

Could settle for 2-3 carriage bolts and wingnuts to fasten the two halves together but prefer something a little more stylish.

Checked Duckworks and didn't see anything right off the bat. Other ideas and sources?? Thanks.

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
Scooter;
Just need to know where and what to look for on Duckworks.
Look for ferrules.
SAW_FRH_big.jpg

Heres the link
http://www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware/misc/saw-frh/index.htm

CLC has stainless, fiber-glass and carbon ones.
Heres a link.
http://clcboats.com/paddles.php

DM

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Scooter san, I'll provide some unsolicited, and probably unwelcome, input. Forget the cutting in half and the heavy, connector. Keep it one piece. It is lighter weight, cheaper, and easier.

I have a take-apart paddle that I carry as a spare, but my primary stick is one piece. Only time I wish it were shorter is when sticking it in the van; some of it comes up between the seats. All the rest of the time, I'm damned glad it's a single chunk.

If you choose the stainless steel sleeve that DM suggests, I suggest you try your stick integral first for a few times. Then, if you just can't abide it, cut it in tow and rejoin with the steel sleeve.

Scooter

Thanks for the link and info. That's exactly what I was looking for. :) I got this vision of cracking a full length paddle under the weight of all my other camping gear, or sliding around poking me in the face in traffic and stuff. But will def think long and hard about making it one piece because there are some advantages, for sure. As you say, try it first then cut later if desired.

Thanks again. Pics when work is underway. 8)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Since the world knows Jack and I never agree on anything ....... You will never guess what type of kayak paddle I have.:roll:

Can you say .....two piece , break apart , smaller for stowing when traveling and can even be used as a single paddle if needed. It does have the carbon center pieces and I know how to put it together , something that some folks have a hard time figuring out since theres is a one piece paddle. :lol: ( Not mentioning any names) :p

Chuck.
PS. It can even be feathered if I want it that way , which I don't , feathers belong on ducks. I concur that feathered paddles are a liability. Jack here

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
I just bought the carbon fiber ferrule from Duckworth. I've been wanting to build a kayak paddle for a while now. :D

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Since the original was written seven years ago, I've sold the original paddle I had. I now have a take-apart that does NOT use a heavy stainless steel ferrel, but uses kevlar/carbon fiber with splines for indexing. It is a nice compromise between solidity and handiness.