Wifey | SouthernPaddler.com

Wifey

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
I have been preoccupied for some time this year.
The wife got a pacemaker January 26, a blood infection that required a month of IV's at home (by Dr. Bears Buddy), then suffered a stroke April 13th. She was recovering quite well after two crainiotomies and an internal ventricle to peritoneal shunt to drain excess pressure off her brain. Then she was moved from the neural ICU to a regular room where an incompetent RN set her back further than she was right after the stroke. She was strapped dowm tightly by the wrists and placed flat on her back. She was left that way choking and thrashing for over 40 minutes. I could hear her coughing coming down the hall. At that point she was rolling her eyes upward like she was going to sleep, then she would cough, grimace and twitch violently. I went down to the nurses station and her nurse was sitting BSing with the other staff. Even with my bad hearing I coud clearly hear Nancy coughing at the nurse's station.

The neurosurgeon was able to repair the shunt and she was moved back to ICU and later moved from ICU to the Rehabilitation unit across town. Unfortunately she developed kidney problems while there which caused regression to extreme lethargy and lack of responsiveness. She went back to the regular hospital on Thursday by ambulance. The kidney function has greatly improved with treatment and she is now quite easily tired, but can respond and carry on a conversation. Her memory appears to be fine.

After all the time in ICU she will need extensive therapy to be able to walk. She has already told me she cannot drive again. (47 years without an accident or any tickets)

Because the stroke was in the left cerebellum, her depth peception is poor, she has more balance problems and gets motion sickness just being having her head lowered and raised too quickly in the hospital bed.

Despite all this she remains pretty cheerful and looks forward to getting home. You guys know she has to be tough to put up with me for the 47 years since we met and almost 44 years of marriage (July 20, 1968).

Anyway,thanks for listening. I just needed to tell someone. The stress gets to me sometimes.

loafer

Jan 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, LA
Thanks for the update and hang in there Buddy
we have been concerned about your progress
the two of you shall remain in our prayers
LOAFER

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
bear buddy keeping you all in my prayers hope she gets better soon.things like that can take a toll on the other half too.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Thank you friends. She is doing well enough that she may be going back to the rehab facility tomorrow if her blood test results are good. That will be a relief for both of us.

michstripcanoe

Sep 10, 2003
Oscoda, michigan
Jerry: Thanks for sending me your phone numbers. Thanks for filling us in on your wife's conditon but I am also concerned about your health. How you doing? The geezers met at Bud Hart's cabin , North of Grayling, and spent time on his big porch looking out over the river and the hundreds of songbirds he feeds. Walked down the two track along the river, and visited his nearest neigbors. I wasn't up to paddlin' with the guys, so left for home while they were loading up for a run down the Manistee. Thought about you and your wife, and hope everything returns somewhat back to normal so we can run the river again---soon.

The walleye fishing has stopped in front of your place and Ron, my son, and I have moved North. The fish are migrating out into deeper water and moving from the Bay area (in front of your place) to the deeper waters.
we were going to fish today but the storms moved thru, so we probably wont go again 'til next week. I will give you a call when we do and will drop off some walleye for you. How's that for optimism. No kiddin' Jer. I'll be sure and do that. Bet you'd enjoy some this time of year.

Give your wife our best wishes and hopes for a speedy recovery. Been a long enough drag already, but hopefully she'll be home soon and you guys can get back to some kind of normalcy. Our prayers are with you and be prepared----I will get you some fish. Al Dasen.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Al, keep following those fish.
We celebrated our 44th anniversary on the 20th of July. She is back in the main hospital until at least Monday and doing well right now. She did have a spike in her blood pressure that sent her back to the ER to find the cause. Apparently it was a slight swelling in the brain that started a chain reaction. Right now the goal is to get her wound healed from the confinement in bed. She is working to get the strength and control to sit up and slide herself into a powered wheelchair. At this time it takes a hoist to sit her up. The longest she has been able to sit is about 3 hours in a chair. She has trouble with nausea every time she moves too quickly. We are told most of that will subside over time. Nancy is determined that we are going places weather she has bouts of nausea or not.
I told her we are visiting Louisiana as soon as she is able. She really liked that idea as long as it was in the winter. :mrgreen:

michstripcanoe

Sep 10, 2003
Oscoda, michigan
Congratulations on your 44th anniversary Jer. We celebrated our 64th on March 6th this year. God. Where has the time gone? My son Ron had surgery on his bicep so our fishing has stopped for a copuple of weeks. We both have lots of frozen walleye in the freezers so the fish I get to you may not be fresh caught, but I hope to get some fresh ones to you. My wife and I are touring the U.P. most of next week so it'll be after that before I can get over your way. We haven't been to Mackinac Island for 2 years and Mary has to bug to visit there, so guess what? That's where were going. Gotta keep her happy you know. Beside I want to go to Keith's old stomping grounds to exchange stories with a buddy that lives up there. I'll call soon. Al Dasen.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Received the news that the wife has (in addition to the stroke) a clot near her cervical spine. The doc says they are unable to do anything about it but watch it and hope the medication dissolves it slowly enough that it does no harm. She is having some confusion due to pain medications and being laid up for so long. Don't know what to say beyond that. Please keep her in your prayers.