What width? | SouthernPaddler.com

What width?

Hydrophillic

Feb 11, 2011
What is the best width to make stable enough boat to stand in?

My first one was too narrow( 13'8" long x 22" bottom and 29" at the top and center). I have heard 24" bottom and 32" to 34" at the top. Just wanted some of your opinions. I am about to start on another.

islandpiper

That's funny. I had a boat about that same size that i could stand up and walk around in with no trouble. It was just a plain old UJ, nothing special.
DSCF0038-4.jpg

Now, I'll be the first one to admit that when i put it in the water it did get a little more skittish. :D :shock: :lol:

Lean on the carefully acquired knowledge of guys like Keith, Seedtick and Beekeeper, and Swampwood......and Chuck and Texas River Rat and Hairymick.....in fact about 100 of the guys here. As for me, i've built three UJs and had great luck with them. Here's a pic of my son standing in his UJ.

davis-14w.jpg

Lots of options, you might have to build several boats. Oh, Darn. piper

Hydrophillic

Feb 11, 2011
They are always easier to stand in when they are on land. I am with you that you have to build until you find what you like.

islandpiper

" I am with you that you have to build until you find what you like."

Here's the deal. If anyone gets any static from their wives then the "telephone-tree" from the forum switches ON and we will band together to phone wives and explain how much we NEED the right boat, and how easy the wrong boat is to sell, etc. Sometimes just 15-20 calls spaced out over a couple of evenings can help a lady to understand. And, when one of US has this problem, you can help make some calls too.

Do this right and we can all have 2-3 boats in the garage.

piper

Hydrophillic

Feb 11, 2011
My Admiral is saying I guess what yours is." Where are you going to put that one?" I have few suggestions of which none are acceptable if I still want the Admiral around.

I did start on another boat. 1/4" plywood bottom, 5mm luan sides( butt sliced),1x2 cedar strips for log chines and gunnell, built on new build table chopped down from 16' to 14' and glued together PL Premium and Titebond. I would not recommend Titebond because it really did not work well. 30 degrees bow S and G 15 degrees stern wrapped around a luan former( I going to use 1/4" next time). She is 14' x 24"x 32". It is a quick build just to determine stability. The most epoxy will be for the taping the outside edges and mixed with lacquer thinner to saturate the whole boat before priming and painting with latex deck stain from sherwin williams.

JEM

The ability to stand up in a "paddlecraft" is 50% boat and 50% paddler. I've seen a 200 lbs guy stand in a 17'2 x 28.5" round bottom touring canoe. I've seen others who have a hard time standing in a jonboat. No comment on which of those groups I fit into.

Wider bottom gets more stable but as the overall boat gets bigger, you also float higher in the water, raising you and your center of gravity. I don't know of any direct ratio or correlation of bottom with to stability. There's probably a formula that someone could come up with but it would likely be a lot of theory without practical application.

The most stable boats I've seen and designed are those that sit about 3" deep in the water with the paddler and gear on board. Flared sides improve that stability.

Then there's about 20 other variables that play into that. :roll:

islandpiper

There's lots of lumberjack contests up north where the guys burl and battle on 20" dia that are free to ROLL.... and somehow they manage.

When i was ten years younger i could walk around in my son's UJ. My current UJ doesn't feel comfortable doing that. Lots could be related to my vision, my arthritis, a knee job, and the width of my personal TRANSOM.

piper

Hydrophillic

Feb 11, 2011
I do understand there are alot of variables. I was just hoping someone might have a little incite into what has worked for them. I have noticed that there is more bottom area with this boat than with the last. With work being busy, I hope to finish her next week.

Islandpiper, I noticed the boat in the picture ,inwhich you are standing, is painted.Could let know what you used and how is holding up?