Webley Rebel | SouthernPaddler.com

Webley Rebel

dawallace45

Guys , any one know any thing good or bad about the Webley Rebel air rifle ?

I'm in my new place now and the local gun shop is only about 80 Metres away , they work out of their back yard , full gun smiting service , but they have the Webleys in stock and they look pretty good , and I have enough room in my shed to set up a 10 metre air gun range , the 22 air rifle I have now is a bit too loud and powerful for this new place but a pump air gun in 177 may be just the ducks nuts

I found a write up on it here http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/blog/20 ... -town.html but I prefer to get info from some one I know who has actually handled on if I can

David

dawallace45

Okay , it looks like no one has come across the Webley Rebel yet so I'll change the question does any one have positive or negative comments on multi-stroke pneumatic air rifles in general , my only experience has been with springers and I know next to nothing about MSP rifles

David

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
David, I've had limited experience with MSP rifles. The killer for me IS the multi-pump feature. On paper, it's very versatile. You can adjust the power, and in your case , the noise level with the number of pumps. But, you still HAVE to pump the gun 4 to 10 times as much as a springer. That, for me, is a big negative.

If you're looking for "one hole" type of accuracy, you may or may not get it, as with any gun. But, you will have to learn where your gun shoots at each power level. Your gun will definitely shoot to a different point of aim at 4,5,6,7 and 8 pumps. Now, some people simplify that by shooting, say, 3 or 4 pumps for close target shooting and close to the maximum number of pumps for hunting. That lessens the trajectories you have to keep track of.

For my money, I'd rather do one stroke on a springer and put up with it's somewhat tempremental hold sensitivities.

Now another alternative is the HW30?R7 springer platform or a good single stroke pneumatic, especially for 10 meter shooting. My R7 is quiet and is a true one hole shooter at 10 meters. It's almost a one holer at 20 yards on a good day.

Joey

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
David...

I have two of the pump ( MSP ) rifles one is a Benjamin's in the 177 cal and the other a Crosman in the 22 cal. They look a lot like the one you are asking about.
The disadvantage is like Joey said , multiple pumps to get the velocity you want , anywhere between two to eight pumps. What I like is the choice of velocity and none of the recoil of a springer when it is shot. You do not get off as many shots with one ( MSP )because of the time to pump it up for the shot.
Springer's are nicer if you do not like all the pumping since they are a break it open and close it to get the shot. I also have a springer pistol ( RWS 177 cal ) and a pump pistol ( Benjamin , 22 cal ) and out of the two I can hit the target a lot better with the pump then with the springer.

The pump is something that I have used for about 60 years and am use to.
When using one for hunting ....As Tom Anderson liked to say when it came to air rifles... " 177 for feathers , 22 for fur "

I also have been looking at the Benjamin Nitro filed air rifles and understand they offer the advantage of a springer with the open , load and close action but the smoothness of a pump when being shot. Plus they say the nitro ones are a lot quieter then any of the others when fired. Piper has one and you might want to ask him about his. From what I have read on the forum he likes his and has fired a lot of pellets threw it. After I find out more about them , one day I hope to have one.

Take a look..... Pipers article.. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9333

Chuck.

dawallace45

Guys , I have a Norica Dragon springer air rifle in .22 and while it shoots Okay it's too loud and powerful for shooting in the shed , most of the lower powered air rifles are made for some one of a much smaller stature than me and just don't fit well , but the Webley is made for a full size person , [ nice way of saying big and fat ] I do like the Benjamins and the Beemans , actually a mates brother used to own Beeman Australia but they are very expensive here , way out of my price range , the gun shop over the back fence is selling the webley for $225 which is about half the price of the Beemans and about $150 cheaper than my next choice the Diana

My main concerns are longevity and reliability , [ I just don't have any real experience with MSP 's as they just aren't all that common here ] all the reviews seem to give them full marks for accuracy and the trigger while getting heavier with each pump is much lighter than on any springer I've ever owned and much much lighter than the one on my Norica

I really don't need much power , but I do need quiet and will probably never put more than 4 pumps into it , I like to use a air rifle for off hand practice and generally just shoot bottle caps at 10 metres but I do like to practice regularly and the air rifle lets me do that

I figure that if I can hit a bottle cap at 10 metres off hand every time then when I'm hunting I can keep my shots in a 10 inch circle at 100 metres

David

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
David,
I have the same rifle that Piper has and shooting a 13 to 15 grain pellet it is subsonic. I have a 16x24 shed with a roll up door and I have a makeshift shooting bench in the shed. I open the roll up door and set my target up outside the shed and shoot from in the shed. The noise is not bad at all. The neighbors do not know that I m shooting.
Bob

dawallace45

Yeah , the noise is one of the main things to consider , I'm only on a acre here and the nearest neighbouring house is only about 60 metres from the shed , the shed is 10.6 x 7.6 metres , I think that is about 35 ft x 25 ft in the old talk , figure to just put up a sheet of ply and put up my targets in front and keep the roller doors closed

Been thinking of getting one of those knock down air rifle targets

David

dawallace45

Bob

Actually with our quarantine laws it would be allowed as long as there was no bark left on the timber , the timber was treated and finished , it would then be inspected and fumigated and then I'd be allowed to pick it up a few months late , they are strict

Some of the guys ordering Osage orange and yew bow blanks from the USA have now problem just a long wait others just get sent a note saying that the item was destroyed because bark was left on it

Pretty much every thing is inspected

David

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
David,
My son and I went to a gun show today. Folks have lost their everlovin minds. .223 ammo at a dollar a round PLUS tax. SKS rifles at 800 dollars. It's like Bear used to say' Bizarro World".
While there I saw a table of air rifles. They had a Gammo Silent Stalker in .22 cal at 900 and something FPS so with 13 to 15 grain pellets it would be subsonic. It also has a big fat thing on the end of the bbl. that is supposed to make it quiter still. The guy said that they are very quiet(of course he did, he's trying to sell them). You might look at that one also. We picked up a CZ in a .22 Hornet. I've wanted to get a CZ for a while but never had. I have heard great things about them.
Bob

dawallace45

Bob

The air rifles with suppressors aren't allowed in Australia , all our politicians and police get their firearms knowledge from watching American movies and think the addition of a suppressor makes the firearm 10 times more deadly and turns the shooter into a homicidal maniac , even a air rifle

Had a CZ with double set triggers many years ago , mine was a good one but some from around that vintage weren't , this was around 25 or more years ago , loved mine and only sold it because some one offered me about three times what I'd paid for it and I had my eye on some thing I hadn't had before

David

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
David,
I have a rule that I try to adhere to. If it shoots really well, Never sell it. If you do, one day you will say 'I used to have one of those. Man! I wish I hadn't sold it". Can't tell you how many times I've heard that.
Bob