Used Turkey | SouthernPaddler.com

Used Turkey

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
I've heard of taking left ober turkey and making chili or gumbo out of it. Tonight Gay made a turkey pot pie in her huge pyrex dish. Thought I'd went to heaven. I cannot even start to tell you how good it was. Being a generous soul, I would give yall the recipie but there is none. I ask her for the recepie and she said that she had none, she just did it. I told her that that really needs to be written down so it could be shared. Nathan and I sure ate good tonight.
Bob

JEM

I whipped up a very good turkey chili. Full pot lasted about 2 hours. And now that you mentioned it, I'm gonna write it down here:

-All leftover larger turkey bones into a stock pot (I didn't mess with the back bone). Leave the excess meat on them. Remove the skin and fat if you can help it.
-finely dice a medium onion and 2-3 stalks of celery. Add to the pot.
-Crush 4-5 gloves of garlic with a fork, into the pot.
-6 whole pepper corns into the pot.
-2 chicken bullion cubes and 2 beef bullion cubes.
-Fill with water a little over 1/2 way.
-You can sprinkle a few teaspoons of flour in if you like a thicker soup.

Cover and simmer on low for about 6-8 hours. Dogs in your house will go nuts over the smell.

-Remove the bones and pick off any meat.
-chop up about 3-4 cups of additional turkey meat to go with it. Set aside.

-Dump in a 10-ounce can of diced tomatoes with green chilies (comes in same can)
-Dump in a 15-ounce can of pinto beans packed in chili.
-3-4 bay leaves
-heaping table spoon of chili powder
-2 teaspoons of cumin
-2 teaspoons of powdered mustard
-I get this basil in a "squeeze bottle" in the refrigerated section at the store. 3 tablespoons (or about 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil)
-2-3 diced red potatoes
-One can of combination cream of mushroom/chicken soup.
-The juice from a whole lime.
-1 small container of sour cream

Dump all that in and simmer until potatoes start to get soft. Add a can of drained corn and the turkey. It's a little spicy but man it was good!

mommicked

Nov 18, 2006
Coastal NC
We always made fajitas from leftover turkey (whatever didn't make it into hunter's sandwiches).

Turkey Fajitas:
Few big handfulls of cooked turkey, cut into finger like pieces
2 bell peppers, sliced long and thin
1 large onion (vidallea) slided long and thin
pack of taco seasoning
amount of water called for in taco seasoning
splash of cooking oil

Cook peppers, onions in butter in large skillet or wok on medium heat. Add meat, seasoning and water. Simmer till the sauce thickens. Serve on warm tortillas with sour cream, cilantro, salsa, etc. Delicious. Been known to splash barbecue sauce on it too, or add it to wok during simmer.