Uncle John Build | SouthernPaddler.com

Uncle John Build

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
While I was spending time in the shop building the TV 15 32, one of our daughters found enough left over wood to build an UJ. I know the UJ is old hat to a lot of you, but also I’m sure there are folks out there with UJ starter questions. Especially since the UJ Kits are no longer available.

We decided the gussets on the ribs would be easier if she just glued rectangles on the joints and flush routed them.

The UJ plan stem is complicated and hard to cut so she simply cut the two main angles on the table saw. Also this was about the time I had posted an end pour question and Ron replied he carved a stem and glued in place. So instead of fighting the bend to screw the sides to the stem, we duct taped the ends, glued in the ribs, then stems, using screws to temporarily hold in them in place. This was much easier than the procedure in the plans.

The top rail was glued and held in place with lath screws which were removed later. Masking tape to catch glue drips makes clean up easier.

The bottom was marked and rough cut, sides masked, glued on and trimmed with the multipurpose tool.

Outside is 6 oz cloth, one piece wet out with a roller and squeegee. We carried the wet glass down to the outside edge of the rub rail.

At this point wife and I left on our winter expedition to central Texas. Our daughter took a job in another town. I’ll post the finished boat, probable early summer.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
One lesson I finally learned was not to argue with success. :D

She did all that? Fantastic! Even if she didn't do it all, the results are very good. The Uncle John's design is a good one and you are right, many got their first build done using his plans. And I'm betting that no two are exactly alike, either!

I'm thinking Uncle John would be proud! You should email those pics to him.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL