The Recon Run on Fisheating Creek for Dec. | SouthernPaddler.com

The Recon Run on Fisheating Creek for Dec.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
This is what I found on the recon run to Fisheating creek , Oct,25 , 26 and part of the 27th. The December trip to Fisheating creek is a NO GO.

That Cypress tree was where the water was the last time down there a few weeks ago. That is where the boats touched dry land.
oct25%20008.jpg

This was a wide open lake on the last trip...... Not anymore.
oct25%20009.jpg

All of this was the same lake on the last trip , water from bank to bank.
oct25%20010.jpg

You can see water is at a premium right now.
oct25%20011.jpg

oct25%20012.jpg

Plenty of camping spots at Picnic Lake when you get there. It is a long narrow lake I was against the one bank when I took this picture.
oct25%20014.jpg

The main campground is really nice , the backside of the spot I had.
oct25%20001.jpg

Looking the other way or direction.
oct25%20003.jpg

Anyone for some Campbell s Soup.
oct25%20006.jpg

I left the launch area and paddle a shot distance threw the 1st lake and when I got to the narrow part of the creek , it was pole the canoe and sometimes get out and drag it. There were a few spots I could paddle the canoe but most of it was poling or dragging it in very shallow water.
Picnic lake is as far north as I managed to make it and the lake is deep water , lots of fishy smells as you paddle along.

When I got back to the ramp one of the Rangers was there and we struck up a conversation. I asked him about paddling it in Dec and he just laughed and told me , that is the dry spell and I could walk the creek then. The creek was at 1.75 feet when I was there and he told me that t would be a 1/2 a foot or in that area in Dec. In plain language , NO PADDLING ... Walking the boat Yes.

By the way I was paddling the lightweight canoe 14 x 29 and at 30 pounds. The only things in the canoe besides myself was a Nalgene 32 oz bottle of water and a spare paddle , a canoe loaded for camping would of been some work , if not almost nearly impossible to get up stream.

Plus I'm not sure what is going to happen , The concessionary ( or so I have been told) will lose his concession on the 13th of Nov and the State is going to run the main campground.

Chuck.

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
just can't seem to catch it right can ya Chuck? I've made it as far as lemon lake as low as 1.40 with a loaded boat but its more walking in 2 or 3 inches of water than it is paddling. Before you blow it off completely you might look into the possibility of going downstream from the campground. I've never been down there but have heard there is more water.
Sorry I missed you sunday. Wedding in three weeks and I'm covered up in honey doos.....

I'd heard the concession was coming up for renewl but hadn't heard it was happening that quick.Interesting.....

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I have been told the third time is the charm , so far , 1st time , high water , 2nd time , low water ... the third it might be just right. Makes me think of Goldie locks and the three bears , so far the bears have gotten me or as a buddy of mine likes to say ..... "Sometimes you get the bear and sometimes he gets you" Bears X2 , Me 0 :lol:
N.O.A.A. Web site said the water was at 1.75 feet the folks at the campground said 1 1/2 feet for my trip. Right now 1.54 feet. Hate to see what December holds for the creek.

Thought about the down river run. The down river seams interesting but you can't paddle all the way down , Cow Bone Marsh is non navigable at this time , ( No trail threw it ) or so I was told. My understanding is that there will be a trail threw there at a later date , not sure when.

If I would of left that Dec trip on and the guys got there , put the boats in and paddled away , they would of had my hide tacked to the nearest tree when they caught up with me. For some reason they like a lot of water under there boats and just paddling along. What the heck , it is the Geezer style of paddling. :wink:

Good luck on the wedding , the bride to be sounds like one heck of a nice Gal and it seams that you are one lucky person to have found her. Especially a lady that like the outdoors like all of us do , that is a rare find in today's society.

Chuck.
PS. I tackle the creek again it will be in a flat bottomed , skinny water , Pirogue not a round bottom canoe.

michstripcanoe

Sep 10, 2003
Oscoda, michigan
Chuck: Thanks for the recon trip. It sure will save us a big dissapointment. Has Lazyriverguy got any ideas about water in his area? It looks like the December trip may have to be moved to spring of next year. I'll keep watching the forum for updates and hoping that something materilizes. Al Dasen

Paddlin'Gator

Feb 2, 2008
Tequesta, FL
Al, the water in the Ocklawaha is very reliable and does not fluctuate much with seasonal rainfall unless there has been enough to increase the flow out of Lake Griffin which will increase the current some and raise the level a little.

Joe

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Paddlin'Gator said:
Al, the water in the Ocklawaha is very reliable and does not fluctuate much with seasonal rainfall unless there has been enough to increase the flow out of Lake Griffin which will increase the current some and raise the level a little.

Joe

Besides that , there is the Silver River feeding the Ocklawaha River so you know there is water there even when everything else is down and not navigable. The dry season is seams like the best paddling deals are the spring fed streams which Florida has a lot of.
Now if this screwball weather we are having would just cool down , we have been way above normal this year , they say it is Fall but it sure feels like Summer.

Chuck.

Otter

Apr 9, 2005
Palm Bay FL
Chuck,
We appreciate you going out of your way to make sure the rest of us will have a good time on your next planned trip. Im sorry it did not work out. It is a pretty area. if water level were more consistent, it would be a nice river to do regularly.
Have you ever thought about doing something on "Rock Springs Run" and the Wekiva river. I know that there are a couple state park regulated camping sights on "Rock Springs Run" which feeds into the Wekiva River on which there are a couple of camp sights as well. I did the Wekiva river several years ago and it is one of the nicest rivers I've done. It is the only river where I had several sightings of river otters which made the trip even more enjoyable. As you know they are located near Apopka which is a little N.W. of Orlando.
I think the water levels are pretty stable and the only draw back is that the the rangers are known to visit the camp sights and will make you discard any alcohol if they should see that you have it.

River Otter

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The Rock Springs Rangers will come into camp and ask if you have anything in the alcohol line with you. Then they will search your cooler and camp to see if what you tell them is correct. Anyway they knew exactly where to look in all the gear to find it. :shock: :shock:
In our case one ranger wanted to know if there was any more and even walked into the woods around camp , looking it over. Can't prove it but I think that last trip there , the guy ( Chuck) at the outfitters for Rock Springs Run let the Rangers know John had that beer with him.
Then they gave Bill a bad time because Rusty ( Bills Dog) was not on a leash. We were miles away from everyone.

I have never figured out the idea behind it , you are paddling and camping on a river , in the woods , away from everyone and everything. You can bet the RV's over in the common campground at Wekiva Park have spirits in them. They can drink and drive , a person paddling a boat will have a drink and hit the tent or hammock for a nights sleep.

For anyone that does not know the area , Wekiva campground is at the main park and Rock Springs run is the dividing line between the two pieces of state land , might say it is one big preserve taking in both rivers.

If I go back and they ask me , Yes Sir a big bottle of alcohol... They will want to confiscate it and then I just smile and ask , What will I use in my alcohol camping ( Trianga) stove. :lol: Knowing them from past experience they would take it or make me dump it , even if it is not the drinking kind. :twisted:

Today a person needs to check the regs on the river they want to paddle , Besides the alcohol rules some will not let glass containers on them , others cans , and one ( Juniper River ) , your sandwiches have to be in Tupperware containers.... don't have one with you ... Darn , just by chance , the outfitter has a large stock in there shop , For Sale.

Chuck.