The famous SWAMPWOOD PIROGUE maiden voyage | SouthernPaddler.com

The famous SWAMPWOOD PIROGUE maiden voyage

islandpiper

Mr. Swampwood, your pirogue carried me out and carried me back. I can tell you it hauls a ton of stuff, and does so with class and tracks like an arrow. I feels solid and safe in al respects. I miss a couple of tie-down spots and will add them sometime. I really miss one, single tie point bow and stern...and may modify it to have breasthooks both ends one day. Sitting in my normal spot it all balanced right, but it was too wide between the gunwales for me to use my new, fancy, factory made double paddle. So, i had to change the load an sit further back where it was narrower. I might be able to fix that by using a longer paddle, setting my seat higher, or just dealing with sitting waaaay back. It is wider than my UJ, that's for sure. I don't think it is as fast as a UJ, but I keep getting older so that might explain that.

Overall? I'd give it a 9.3 out of 10......for the width, the weight (all purposeful, but still heavier than my UJ), and the fact that I had to cover up the "blind-you" blue inside. But.....9.3 ain't bad for any boat. Thanks for building it and letting me buy it.

If you are driving by this way feel free to stop in and help me get it back into the slings in my shed. :D :D

piper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
My boats are similar in size to yours, and my seats are kinda :roll: like the one you have. A longer paddle will help but raising the seat may be enough. I usually sit about 10" high for fishing and easy paddeling. I will lower the seat to about 8" for paddeling with a purpose. Adding a boat cushon can give you a couple more inches.

beekeeper