Tava Omnium water shoe , my new ones for comfort | SouthernPaddler.com

Tava Omnium water shoe , my new ones for comfort

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Ordered in a pair of the Tava Mens Omnium water shoes or for a better words , almost enclosed sandels or shoes with lots of holes in them but they do cover the toes for protection.

The holes are where they benefit you for draining and ventilation. They can be worn without any socks to let your feet breath and stay cool in the heat , wet , no problem , dry in a flash and are really comfortable.

Or I guess you could wear a pair of black socks , pulled up all the way to make yourself look like a tourist around here in Florida.

I have been using the Kayak Jack Boots for paddling and getting in and out of the boat ( mine are the Chota Quick lace Mukluk ) which are hotter then having hell on your feet in this area during the summer , about 10 months of the year , They are comfortable and waterproof which is nice when you are paddling in ice or water close to it. I'm keeping them for winter and cold weather use around here.

The Tava Omnium water shoe can be used while letting you be comfortable and not worrying about getting them wet , they are made for that. Plus they are great walking shoes so one pair does everything. Cooler weather then a pair of wool socks like Bear does with his water shoes.

Camping at a campground , want to take a shower but not be bare footed and get all sorts of bugs , just wear them and have your feet protected while going to the showers , having a shower and walking back to the campsite. Going into town for a bite to eat ...... Same footwear , no problem. Comfort , cool and universal uses all in one package. Need to wash them , go swimming with them on. :D

You may have something you like better but for my use these are the Nut's and I hate sandals/flip flops or anything like them , these are a shoe with all of those benefits .

I got them from Campmor and saved $15.00 over what Cabelas wanted , still a savings even with the postage.

13871_oli.jpg

The shoe can be adjusted across the arch with the Velcro strap , across the heel with the Velcro strap and even the width of it with the laces running up the shoe. The material on the top of the shoe is expandable and stretches to conform to the foot.

As far as using it as a hiking shoe or everyday walking shoe when relaxing and enjoying life , water will not hurt them , dam comfortable and supports/cushions your feet really well , you might just trash the others you have if you have a pair of these. :D

Those folks have thought of everything except the sunburn a person will get from the holes in them when wearing them here in the land of Heat , Humidity and Hurricanes..... A small price to pay for a of of comfort. Like Ole Bear did one time at the Lost Minds Camp ground when running the river , looking at him made me hungry for LOBSTER. :lol:

Chuck.

stickbow

Feb 25, 2009
Americus, GA
Re: Teva Omnium water shoe , my new ones for comfort

I think mine are the same model, but am not positive. They sure look the same.

I like them for walking in cold/wet, wore them this past winter with a pair of neoprene socks on. I've worn them like tennis shoes or sandals and not had stinky foot issues.

I am not all that happy with them in my kayak(s); to be honest I like my Crocs when paddling so I can just take them off easily and paddle barefoot.

I hate flip flops and most sandals too, Master sparkey.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Well felas I just be an ole Texan now when I go paddling its jeans and a pair of boots. The last two times I was out I watched a couple guys in crocks and shorts turn into glow in the dark folks they got so sunburned,also on the ole Brazos
those rocks can be mighty sharp,plenty of briaers if you get on the bank and skeeter have a hard time with Levies.
Ron

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Wynne,

I agree on the Crocs. I tole the High Sheriff bout that before he ordered them Tevas, but I think he made good use of that money. He kin buy a pair of Crocs later. I hate bendin' over....more when I am on a paddlin' expedishun. Crocs let ya stand up 'n slide inta yer shoes without any bendin'. If I had jest put mine inside my tent that nite when Ole Sparkey pitched hiz tent a few yards away, I woulda come off the Brazos jest fine. My Crocs wuz perfect....long az ya got one fer each foot. In fact, they been perfect on a heap a different rivers.....round the house, in the yard, ta the Mister Sam Walton Communist Store, drivin' home, walkin' the streets of Shreveport ta the barbecue store, etc.

regards
bearridge

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mick,

The only problem with that shoe (ta me) iz what happens if ya blow out in fast water. My Crocs got a strap with two velcro adjustin' straps behind the heel. On dry land I jest flip the whole thing forward 'n use my Crocs jest like bedroom slippers. On the Brazos I never strapped my foot in, but on the Nantahala, whenever I come ta the Falls 'er Patton's Run, I try ta remember ta strap my feet in....so my Crocs dont float on down ta Fontana Lake by theirownselves.

Now, if ya git on any fast water, yer shoes mite do jest fine....if ya duct tape 'em ta yer feet. [chuckle]

regards
bearridge

ps I am wearin' a pair of Nike shoes that look kinda like yer shoes rite now. I got inside shoes 'n outside shoes. Wannabe San aint the only one on here with a keen eye on how the Japs keep a clean floor, saw backwards 'n drink more rice. [That iz some rice spam....ya'll eat it all ya kin, okay?] I sho like Ole Sparklers new shoes.

It is a bit embarrassing to have been concerned with the human problem all one's life and find at the end that one has no more to offer by way of advice than "try to be a little kinder." Aldous Huxley

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
This Cajun has to agree with Ron. Knee boots are my footware of choice, winter and summer. No worries about sunburn and perfect for getting in and out in several inches of water and slimy mud. Protects against briars too. One major benefit- it feels so GOOD when you take them off. :mrgreen:

Joey

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
Chuck,

I'm curious to know how well these hold up. When I bought my first pair of Tevas (almost 15 years ago), those things lasted 10 years. Best damn footwear I have EVER owned. Only reason I got rid of them was because I replaced them with another pair of Tevas and my wife-to-be (at the time) insisted they had a peculiar smell to them. The pair I replaced them with was a "river guide" type with adjustable buckles rather than velcro (the only weak point of the first pair). Well those only lasted about a year before the sole started wearing through and then finally one of the straps just pulled out completely. I was very disappointed.

I've since been looking at online reviews of the new Tevas and have been less than impressed with what I've read. It's a shame. I really liked my first pair. And I like the Teva style. Seems like the Quality Control has eroded. Hope yours work out for you.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I figured with all of the sandy bottom rivers and springs we have around here they would be ideal for water use , a lot better then the old slip on's that just loved to collect sand in them. If they last a couple of years I will be happy but it looks like they could last longer. The part I really like is the actual sole on the shoes and not something that just looks like one.

Main thought is foot protection when paddling , those mussels (Clams) we have in the rivers are not foot friendly , especially the ones that have been eaten by the critters ( or used as bait by fishermen) and left in the water with the empty shells pointing up. It's like stepping on razor blades. Then there is always the broken glass around the put ins ( Boat ramps) and take outs from not to nice folks that enjoy breaking bottles in the river.

*** Some rivers there is the chance of stepping on some sharks teeth left over from the good old days. Better yet a Mammoth Tusk or some flint arrowheads.

Figuring it is better for the foot wear to take the beating then it is for me , especially being on a couple blood thinners , it takes for ever to stop a cut from bleeding. Just one of the joy's of getting older. :evil:

Chuck.
*** Ya have to remember ... Florida is nothing more then a large finger of SAND from prehistoric times sticking out between two large bodies of water. Our mountains ( Hills) :roll: in the strip going down the center of the state are nothing more then some really , really old sand dunes. Thats why you can find prehistoric sharks teeth in most of the springs and rivers. Peace River is good for Mammoth tusks and teeth , along with a lot of the springs threw out the state.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Well things are taking a turn for the better around here... The wife with her foot surgery and yakking with the dock's about it and what she is doing has caused this ole fart to wake up. :shock:

I got a pair of the Tava Omnium water shoes for paddling a while back as you know and I haven't been paddling due to the summer heat. The shoes have been sitting in the box in the bedroom and that just proves I am rather stupid. :oops:

I could of been wearing them around here for some some comfort in the heat .... "O" No ... I wear my trade mark the Coolie shoes ( Cotton tops with cotton socks ) the ones from Anchor Bay. You know the Chinese ones that are slip on with the cotton top in black and a rubber bottom. I wear them all year around. Some folks call them Ninja Shoes. :lol:

OK... Times are changing... Now it is going to be the Tava's and even in the winter ( all two weeks of it , if we have a long winter ) with some wool socks like bear does for foot warmth and in the rest of the year ....... Just natural. I figure that it is some time for comfort and since ole Bear is always comfortable I might as well follow his foot steps , so to speak.

See a person can learn from a wayward White Water Padding ,Geezer , Southern Lawyer/Judge...( Now Retired) ... :shock: 8) :wink: YEP... I know .. what is this world coming to when a person can do that. :lol: :lol:

Chuck.
PS.. Besides I am retired so I could care less about any fashion statement or what someone thinks... Comfort for me 1st , last and always. Thank's Bear. :D

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Danger Will Robinson! If yer feet been up inside them socks 'n shoes fer years 'n years, then ya put on some sandals, yer on a fast ride ta sunburn city. Better put some sunscreen on the tops of yer feet 'n ankles.....jest til they turn brown. In colder weather my wool socks not only kept my feet warm, if it come a sunny day, my feet do not burn. When we shoved off on the Brazos, the mud was so deep 'n sticky, I didn't want my socks filled with it, so I took 'em off 'n clean fergot ta put 'em back on. It wuz a warm 'n sunny day.....even hot at times. Burned my ankles purty good that day. Wool socks aint really hard ta wear in warmer weather, but I never tried it in the summertime when it wuz hot.

Hope ya didnt go all day with yer Lily white foot soakin' up the sunshine. [grimmace]

regards
bearridge

ps Dont put them wool socks in the dryer.....less ya wanna fix a pair fer Pups ta wear. [chuckle]

Dopeler Effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.  Greg Oetjen

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I need to find a pair of jungle boots the old uncle sam kind ,they had screens in the instep and let the water in and out as needed.
Pretty good footware for summer paddling.
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
tx river rat said:
I need to find a pair of jungle boots the old uncle sam kind ,they had screens in the instep and let the water in and out as needed.
Pretty good footware for summer paddling.
Ron

I found a pair of them a long time ago and use to wear them to work when we had the green uniforms. Those are some comfortable hiking boots or all day wear. I still have them , they never wear out. Don't know if they still have them but I located mine at the local Army -Navy surplus store and they were new boots.

Bear....
Yep taking it for a few minutes a day till everything gets tanned and won't end up beet red like yours did that one day at the Lost Mines when yo got off the river.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Well I can say I am very happy with the Tava Water Shoes after this last trip.

They are extremely comfortable and that non slip sole on them is just that , Non Slip , it hangs on to a wet surface like it is glued to it. You do not slid your feet around in the canoe with them on. :lol:
They are cool on the foot , drain really quick , stay put and offers protection to the feet. The cool part is really nice , when it is in the baking temperatures out side you want anything you can get that helps you stay cool. Even dipping your feet in the river at times to cool them , same as putting a wet hat on , the evaporation does a great job of cooling.
:lol: The water ( from the hat ) running down the small of your back does not hurt anything.

For a short spell it looked like it might rain , all three of us decided if it did , no rain gear would be used. :D

Down here folks use the fresh water mussel for fish bait , then toss the empty shell out in the water , you step on a open shell (while bare footed ) with the sides of the shell up it is like stepping on a knife blade. They will slice your foot before you know it has been cut. About the same as when around boat ramps where the morons toss glass bottles into the water and then break them. Neither are a happy area for a foot , especially when you take a couple blood thinners.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Re: Tava water shoe

The Tava Mens Omnium water shoes or for a better words , almost enclosed sandels or shoes with lots of holes in them but they do cover the toes for protection.

The holes are where they benefit you for draining and ventilation. They can be worn without any socks to let your feet breath and stay cool in the heat , wet , no problem , dry in a flash and are really comfortable.

The Tava Omnium water shoe can be used while letting you be comfortable and not worrying about getting them wet , they are made for that. Plus they are great walking shoes so one pair does everything. Cooler weather then a pair of wool socks like Bear does with his water shoes.

Camping at a campground , want to take a shower but not be bare footed and get all sorts of bugs , just wear them and have your feet protected while going to the showers , having a shower and walking back to the campsite. Going into town for a bite to eat ...... Same footwear , no problem. Comfort , cool and universal uses all in one package. Need to wash them , go swimming with them on. :D

You may have something you like better but for my use these are the Nut's and I hate sandals/flip flops or anything like them , these are a shoe with all of those benefits .

I got them from Campmor and saved $15.00 over what Cabelas wanted , still a savings even with the postage.

13871_oli.jpg

The shoe can be adjusted across the arch with the Velcro strap , across the heel with the Velcro strap and even the width of it with the laces running up the shoe. The material on the top of the shoe is expandable and stretches to conform to the foot.

As far as using it as a hiking shoe or everyday walking shoe when relaxing and enjoying life , water will not hurt them , dam comfortable and supports/cushions your feet really well , you might just trash the others you have if you have a pair of these. :D

Chuck.