Tales from the Log of the Ruptured Duck | Page 55 | SouthernPaddler.com

Tales from the Log of the Ruptured Duck

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
A RUPTURED DUCK VISITS SNICKERVILLE

In the 1880s, my great granddad came over from Germany. He settled on the edge of Dobie Road As a kid, we lived on Dobie Road a couple of miles S’ly of Snickerville, and Don Dobie was our next door neighbor, a half a mile away. I knew Don Dobie.

At that settlement area, Ralph Stillman’s dad owned and farmed a lot of land. He started another road heading E’ly from Dobie Road, appropriately naming it Stillman Road. I knew Ralph Stillman too. My great granddad helped cut Stillman Road out of the woods. That settlement of German immigrants got nicknamed Snickerville. Unfortunately, I don’t know the story behind that.

Anyway, for me, Snickerville is kind of a home base, a root of my family. Every once in awhile, I have to go back and touch home base. My granddad was born there. He died about a mile E’ly of Snickerville, and is buried in Leek Cemetary about a quarter mike S’ly of Snickerville. So it was a home base for my Grandad too. My dad was born where my grandad died, ran trap line all around Dobie Lake which is right in between where grandpa was born and died. So it was a home base for dad too.

I took the Honda Super Cub out for a ride today, and visited Snickerville. I also paused at Leek Cemetery to pay homage to my family members buried there.

The weather here today is sunny, cool, and pleasant. One of the last days of Indian Summer. The Super Cub likes to cruise at 35-40, and does it easily. The book recommends not running it wide open the first few hundred miles, but an engine should run varying speeds during break-in. So on the E’ly end of Stillman Road, I opened her up. When it hit 50 I shut it down. Had to - the end of the road was fast approaching. In that neighborhood is Button Road. The old, one-room schoolhouse where my dad started school is still there. So I was touching some other bases than just home plate today. But, in my memory, they all gather around Snickerville.

Reactions: grandpa paddler

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I’ve winterized the Super Cub. That pretty much consists of pouring stabilizing additive into the gas tank. Then riding to a gas station, filling the tank (a half gallon of the cheapest fuel), and riding home.

Over the winter, I’ll finish the cargo rack in the rear, and add capability to carry some gear up front on the back side of the large, frontal fairing. I’ve camped a lot on motorcycles in the Sierras and on Okinawa. So most of this is familiar territory.

We have two strategies for the camping trips. One involves riding our motorcycles along a route - probably a zig zag route - from one point of interest to the next. Along the way, stop and camp overnight. Michigan has a LOT of state parks, national forests, state forests, county parks, and private campgrounds.

Our other option is to put the bikes into Charlie’s covered trailer, drive to a preselected area to base camp for a couple or three days, and ride out to points of interest within, say, an hour or two radius. With this option, we wouldn’t be carrying camp gear on the bikes.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I started to work on the cargo rack for the Hond Super Cub. The store bought rack is about big enough to carry a sandwich. Maybe a couple of them? I’d started to work with a piece of plywood that I’d cut out, about 18”X14”.

Charlie and I were talking about it, and got to discussing the effect of weather on the plywood. I planned to paint it, and really wasn't too concerned. Out of nowhere he suggested using one of those thick, plasitc cutting boards instead of plywood. BINGO! I have a large one that has been setting sround for 10-12 years, just waiting for something to do. When I dug it out and set it on the bench next to the plywood, I liked it even better.

The extended rack bolts easily onto the smaller rack, and will greatly improve ability to carry gear. VOILA!

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
You're like me. I have to modify things, too. I don't think I've every bought anything sizable that I didn't modify for my needs. That's part of the fun.