SS STOCK POTS | SouthernPaddler.com

SS STOCK POTS

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I like to cook up soups, especially in the winter. We have the standard 4qt, Revere Ware dutch oven. Not wuite big enough. Looking around, I think that I struck gold. Although, it still looks a lot like stainless steel.

WalMart has stainless steel stock pots at very good prices. I bought an 8qt one - WITH a deep SS strainer basket, a SS steamer basket, and a lid - for $19.46, plus tax, of course. They have them with and without baskets. I'll use the basket for cooking shrimp and pasta. Mine has a triple clad bottom, thick enough to spread heat.

"HEYYYYY,, dogies! Put more water in the doup, Mom. Company's coming up the road."

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
When I get ready to start a big batch of soup or stews ( especially chili ) the wife wants to know why I don't use the slow cooker. My preferred choice of cooking items are the large stainless pots.
( Even been known to use a cast iron Dutch Oven now and then ;) )

I add the items to the pot as needed and you can't do that in a slow cooker. Every time you take the lid off the slow cooker it takes 30 minutes for it to get back to the temperature before you took the lid off. That friends is a bummer since you can't stir the pot and have the privilege of tasting it to make sure everything is coming along like it should. Plus you can't reduce the amount of liquid in a slow cooker like you can in a good size pot. I'm always adding more liquid to the pot as the day marches along. I start everything mid morning and go till dinnertime.

Slow cookers are nice but the large pots are more fun to cook with. One other advantage of the large pots it that they fill the home with the aroma of what you are cooking. Yep , the lid is off mine when I use it to cook soups or stews. Not even thinking about it makeing a really decent home made appatite improving air freshener.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Each kind of cooking method has capabilities and limitations. I avoid tomato dishes in my cast iron.

I've heard thst 30 minute time loss figure, and never found it to be accurate. It seems pretty exaggerated. Even heavy stirring never seemed to delay it more than 10 minutes. Grabbing a quick taste adds just a negligible delay.

The stock pot awaits its first partially-picked-over chicken, to cook up for broth, then soup.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Soups, stews, and chili make good tucker for cold weather. The other day I made a two quart five egg batch of egg drop soup and it didn't last long a'toll. If it takes over 30 min. to make you are stumping your toe. A few days ago my daughter used an 8qt. pot to make taco soup in. Might have to put some of it in the freezer. That was a lot of soup.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
One time on the river, I made egg drop soup. The other guys didn't realize how easy it was, and were quite impressed. With pre-planning, things get easier, ehh?
When slicing the green onions, the soup tastes better if they're cut at a 45 degree angle rsther than straight across. ;-)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Each kind of cooking method has capabilities and limitations. I avoid tomato dishes in my cast iron.

I've heard thst 30 minute time loss figure, and never found it to be accurate. It seems pretty exaggerated. Even heavy stirring never seemed to delay it more than 10 minutes. Grabbing a quick taste adds just a negligible delay.

Never checked the actual temperature of the slow cooker if the lid was taking the lid off , just going by what the so called experts say on the 30 minute idea. I never take the lid off , just set the temperature ( low or high ) and forget it.

I'll do Chili with tomato's in the cast iron , never has hurt the seasoning in it. My guess is that the rest of the ingredients ( Kidney beans [ yes I like beans in mine ] , Hamburger , Onions , Spices ) neutralist the acid in the tomatoes.
Never had a problem with the the chili but I will not do a straight ( tomato ) spaghetti sauce in them.
I always apply a light coat of oil to either the cast iron or the carbon steel pans after using them.