sould have stayed at home | SouthernPaddler.com

sould have stayed at home

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
went out with the HOW folks on the San Marcus,halfway into the trip having past through a fastish run, back paddling to see that the followers were coming through saftly my wooden paddle shaft gives up
Then to add insult to injury going through a fast bend (with half a paddle) I collide with a downed tree and hole my boat just below the waterline

Made it to the take out sitting to the good side with the gunnel just clear of the water and the damaged area barely out of the water bailing with a sponge as I went, thanks to other volenteers I made it back. Now its back into the workshop for me

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
paddle with dowel insert and goopied
wood to compressed and delaminated to sand and reglass, so removed damaged section.
dry fit patch to check fit.

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
now goopied in place,

Well proly going over the top a little,she now has an additional 6 oz coat inside plus 2 layers 3 oz outside,not just for peace of mind but to beef up the sides in antisipation of extra side loads generated by the outriggers/sail assembly.(Still a work in progress)

So some filling sanding and varnish and she's good to go again

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Nope, you shouldn't have stayed home. Months and years after the memory of the patch job is forgotten, you will have one more story to tell your friends and relatives. "Did I ever tell you about the time I went through those raging rapids with a broken paddle and a half floating boat?" Yep, it will become one of many stories you can look back on with pride and wow your audience.

Joey

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
jdupre' said:
Nope, you shouldn't have stayed home. Months and years after the memory of the patch job is forgotten, you will have one more story to tell your friends and relatives. "Did I ever tell you about the time I went through those raging rapids with a broken paddle and a half floating boat?" Yep, it will become one of many stories you can look back on with pride and wow your audience.

Joey

Yeah, and don't forget about the bear that was chasing you! This has all the makings for an epic tale, you just need to let it grow a little with each telling. :roll:

MIke