Some places in Victoria, Australia | SouthernPaddler.com

Some places in Victoria, Australia

olsnappa

Dec 1, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Hi all,
I’ve been browsing around here for awhile but haven’t posted anything yet. So thought I’d kick it off with some photos and clips of a jaunt around my home state of Victoria, here in Oz.
I took a couple of weeks off work and got out to a few places I hadn’t been with the kayak before.
First day out was to the Yarra River. I’d had a paddle or two in the lower reaches where it flows through Melbourne, but not in the areas higher up.
The Yarra is sometimes referred to as “the river that runs upside down” due to the muddy colour caused by the clay soils in its catchment area.
IMG_01021a-1.jpg

If you have a look at the video, you’ll see a lot of time was spent weaving around the many fallen trees in the river as I headed upstream…….and then it rained.
Don’t reckon I’d have got any wetter if I’d gone for a swim
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU0ENxhBwmo

Next trip was to Blue Rock Dam in the Western Gippsland region of Victoria. It was built to service the states main power stations in the Latrobe Valley.
IMG_0001-1.jpg

IMG_0010a-2-1.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AuEHsWdQqw

Second week I went to stay a few days in the High Plains region of Victoria.
One of the places visited was the Mitta Mitta River. The river flows through beautiful mountain forests from the Bogong High Plains to Dartmouth Dam, continuing through flatter farming country before entering the Hume Dam and joining the Murray River which forms the border of Victoria and New South Wales.
IMG_0118a-1.jpg

IMG_0104a-1.jpg

IMG_0113a-1.jpg

Video includes a short underwater bit……(intentional :D )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YItnD2Ne_Bo
Another place visited was the Rocky Valley Reservoir near the ski resort of Falls Creek. It provides water for the Kiewa Hydroelectric Scheme and has become a highly regarded fly fishing spot.
IMG_0021a-1-1.jpg

IMG_0027a-2-1.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBUJdTMBvR0

Hope you enjoyed a brief glimpse a few places in Victoria
Cheers.
John.

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Cool, friend John! I like you already. The first post you make here has lots of pictures of your homeland and a tale to go along with them. Thank you and welcome aboard! 8) 8) 8)

Oh! Watch out for Kayak Jack. He'll tell you he was on the expedition with Mr. Meriwether and Mr. Clark, but we all know he is way too old to have done that trip. :shock:

Mike

olsnappa

Dec 1, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Thanks Mike.....
Yes, I've had the pleasure of chatting with Jack on Matt's JEM site.......so I know some of what there is to know about the old rogue.
Once when I had a head cold Jack pm'd me a home recipe involving Hydrogen Peroxide and irrigation of the sinuses which sounded terrifying.
I've no doubt it would have worked......he's used the method for years apparently but he's a tougher and braver man than I. :D :D
I stuck to the old vicks vapour rub.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Hey, John. I like your flicks. You must have a REALLY waterproof camera. The shadow line of the boat was interesting to watch underwater.

A boat is a magic carpet that carries us to all kinds of places. I found myself reading the water as you went down stream, eying the nearby brush for snakes or critters, and enjoying the scenery.

Hmm, I'd forgotten about the nasal rinse. It does work - messy - but does work. A Sioux medicine man, on the upper Missouri, taught it to me. Cap'n Meriwether used it a time or two. :wink:

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Snaps and welcome aboard mate. :D

Its bloody good to see you posting here.

Your images are amazing and the countryside you paddle in is just so different to anything I have seen, that I am allmost inspired enough to drive through bloody New South Wales and down to your lovely state, just to have a proper look around. I have never been to Victoria's High Country and now, this is just one more place on my "Must Do " list. :D

Thanks for sharing.

olsnappa

Dec 1, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
G'day Jack.....good to chat to you again.
The camera is an Olympus waterproof point 'n shoot with video mode. I'd had a hankering for one for awhile but couldn't justify the cost ($350 AUS).... Then as luck would have it, I ticked over 15 years at my job and as part of the service award, they gave me a $200 voucher for a large department store here......... I was straight in the door the weekend after.. :D
G'day Chuck..... Yep, the water was beautiful. I had a dip in one of the many deeper pools along the river. It was just hot enough to make it enjoyable and being at the tail end of summer the water was not too cold.
G'day Mick.... Mate, I reckon you'd love the High Country down here........ You could always fly over NSW :D :lol: Catch a regional flight to Albury and hire a car to tour around (of course it wouldn't be easy to bring a yak with you though :( )
Mid to late spring or autumn is the best time to see this part of the world I reckon.......unless you like the snow. I'm not a big fan of the snow.......it just hides the scenery :D
If you get there some "must see" places are the towns of Bright, Harrietville, Omeo (where I stayed this time). Make sure you get to see the Wonnangatta Spur and River.....Tambo River...Omeo Valley.. Bogong High Plains, Errinundra Plateau,....Pure magic. Real "Man from snowy river" country
Have a look my pages on flickr. I've put a few pics up of the area I stayed. Unfortunately I only had a few days so didn't get up to a lot of the high country this time, apart from around Falls Creek. Spent most of my time in the foot hills and lower river areas...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ol_snappa/

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
John...

One of the cameras I take with me is a Kodak Easy Share with a strong telephoto capability but is not waterproof , the main one is the little Olympus.

Sounds to me yours is like mine...................
It is the Olympus Stylus Tough-6000. A nice small camera that fits in my shirt pocket , is water proof to 10 feet and will shoot 15 minutes of video. Best thing is it is a 10 mega pixel with auto intelligent mode and double stabilization imagery , even has touch tap control. Heck if I drop it from 6 feet or less it will not be damaged.
You are right it is a little on the expensive side but not as much as the one which is waterproof to 33 feet. That sucker was $400.00 mine was right at $300.00 not counting a small carrying case and spare battery.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Don'tchya just LOVE the sounds of those place names??!! --- Wonnangatta Spur and River.....Tambo River...Omeo Valley.. Bogong High Plains, Errinundra Plateau,...

They roll around the tongue like rich single malt. They could be like the murky sink drains of our Southeastern US, and still be neat to go to.