Slow Cooker Pasta e Fagioli | SouthernPaddler.com

Slow Cooker Pasta e Fagioli

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I found this on the web and it looked and sounded so good.
Hit the grocery store today and got all the items I need to make this tomorrow. The reason for tomorrow , the beans have to soak overnight. It's not mentioned in the recipe , but we will have some Garlic Bread with it.
*****************************************************************************************************************************

Slow Cooker Pasta e Fagioli
Yield: Serves 10 to 12
Ingredients
For the soup:
  • 1 pound dried pinto beans
  • 1 large red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 8 ounces pancetta, small dice
  • 4 cups water, plus more for soaking
  • 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 Parmesan cheese rind (about 2x3 inches, optional)
  • 1 cup dried ditalini pasta or small shells
For serving:
  • 1/4 cup fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
  • Shaved Parmesan cheese
Instructions
  1. Prepare the beans for an overnight soak by pouring them out onto rimmed baking sheet or plate. Pick out any debris or broken beans. Transfer the beans to a strainer and rinse under cool water. Place the rinsed beans in a large bowl or 6-quart or larger slow cooker if you don’t need to use it overnight (eliminating one extra dish to wash). Add about 6 cups of cool water. Cover and soak overnight, 10 to 12 hours.
  2. Drain the soaked beans and wipe out the slow cooker insert (if you used it). Return the beans to the slow cooker. Add the 4 cups of water, the bell pepper, onion, pancetta, tomatoes, tomato paste, bay leaves, oregano, basil, dried thyme, and Parmesan rind if using. Give everything a swift, hearty stir to combine. Cover and cook until the beans are tender but not falling apart and the broth around the beans has thickened, 5 to 6 hours on the HIGH setting or 10 to 12 hours on the LOW setting.
  3. When the soup is ready, bring a large saucepan over water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain the pasta and stir into the soup. Remove the bay leaves and Parmesan rind before serving. Top each bowl with fresh thyme and Parmesan.
Recipe Notes
Storage: Leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 4 days or frozen for up to 2 months.
Bean and pasta substitutions: Dried great northern beans can be used in place of pinto beans. Substitute small shells for the ditalini, as needed.
Meghan Splawn is the Food Editor for Kitchn's Skills content. She co-hosts a weekly podcast about food and family called Didn't I Just Feed You.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
WELL.....
We had it for supper and from a 0 - 10 rating I would say a weak 4.
Really bland and tasteless and I followed the recipe. After the 1st spoon full I added some salt and pepper to mine along with a healthy amount of Parmesan cheese. It really helped to add some flavor to it.
I have a good amount left and will refrigerate it to see if the flavors improve and then freeze the rest.

If I was going to make this again ( has everything in it that I like ). I will use Garlic with the Onion , leaving out the pancetta and replacing it with ( at lease a pound ) some good seasoned sausage. Otherwise following the recipe as listed.