Shirt Pocket Snack | SouthernPaddler.com

Shirt Pocket Snack

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
The smaller Ziploc bags are "sandwich bags". I find these to be really handy. And, my favorite way to use them is for shirt pocket snacks.

Cut an apple into sections. Add about a half a teaspoon of cinnamon to the empty bag. Add the apple slices, seal the bag, and shake the bag. Or, peel a tangerine or an orange. Separate into sections and put into a bag. Or, add a bit of salt and pepper to a bag, and then a peeled, hard boiled egg. These are favorites of ours, and ther has to be a hundred or so others out there.

We take these along on bike rides, flying, driving, whatever. They are easy, tasty, and good for you.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
:wink: Real pocket snacks come in there own "wrapper". No bags needed. Saltine crackers, vienna sausages, sardines, potted meat,... :lol:
My childhood favorite, a cold baked sweet potato. :)

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I was just trying to open up the subject of shirt pocket snacks. Lots of possibilities now. When I was a kid, there were a lot fewer possibilities.

55 years ago, in the northern Japan winters, street vendors sold hot, roasted sweet potatoes wrapped in aluminium foil. Jam a knife in on end, put in a half stick of butter, and it was JARVIS good eatin! Kept your nose warm, too!

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
How good a snack taste, is directly related to how far from the truck or camp you are when hunger hits. Your buddies choice of snacks becomes ok by you, when you forgot, or failed to bring anything to eat. On a recent trip beesboy discovered he didn't dislike boiled eggs as much as he thought.
The eggs were wrapped in paper towels for a little padding and the premixed salt and pepper in a sandwich size plastic bag.