Sculling Oar | SouthernPaddler.com

Sculling Oar

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
Have any of you made oars? I'm interesting in using a sculling oar (like Chinese style) on my outrigger pirogue. I don't mind standing and sculling. I figure if I'm fly fishing, keeping the outrigger to the starboard side while fishing off the port side would be best. I'm thinking of using that instead of a seat for fishing. I'm used to being on my feet all day considering I work in kitchen.

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
Re: Stand up paddle

buckisland1950 said:
I made a stand up 6 foot 6 inch paddle but haven't made any sculling oars. Not sure what type blade shape you would us for that. Sorry!

Do you have any pictures of your stand up paddle? I figure a push pole/paddle could work in a variety of situations.

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
Stand up paddle

funbun:

Check in this topic under my old post "more paddles" that will give you an idea of the length. I do use it to push when the water levels are extremely low around here. I also built a 10 foot pole with a sort of slender blade on it but looks like I need to do some more research on that one.... Will try and post better pics of the long paddle if you want more details.