Screeeeeeeeech Owls | SouthernPaddler.com

Screeeeeeeeech Owls

What kinda shootin' iron do ya tote, when ya tote one?

• revolver .357 magnum

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • revolver less than .357 magnum

• auto .45

• .32 auto

• some kinda .22 LR

• .22 magnum

• ray gun

• I dont tote no gun. I aim ta wait on the cops.

• Total voters

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Fellas,

I reckon screech owls fly north 'er south when the weather turns. I dont know why it took so long ta sink in. A momma 'n two babies showed up a few weeks ago. They dont come out in til dusky dark. One wuz outside in a crepe myrtle tree tonite. A few days ago the two little ones got in the bird bath 'n splashed 'n splashed. What a site ta see!

Miz Bear sez they look like a cross tween E.T. 'n Kermit the Frog. I like 'em long az they dont hiz Miz Bear 'n me in the head agin. That wuz a mistake. I figger she wuz jest worried bout her babies. I wuz jest worried bout mine.

regards
bearridge

ps Miz Bear aint back ta shootin' pichurs 'er we'd show ya'll.

I do not take a single newspaper, nor read one a month, and I feel myself infinitely the happier for it. Thomas Jefferson

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
It seems like from what I can find, that Screech Owls don't migrate much, unless the winter is very severe.

How come us 41 toting folks can't vote. :cry:

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Gotta be a Communist poll. Wont let ya vote for more than one or some that is not even there. :evil: .22, .38, .41, .45LC Heck, I like em all. Cept for 44mag. It's ok out of out of a Contender though.
Bob

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Jimmy,

We only see 'em this time of year. Mebbe they jest like our yard ta lay eggs, git the little ones flyin', then leave? When they drop by, they fly rite up inta the patio, like ta look in the big windows at us......same time of year ever year. They like the fig trees. Hmmmmm.......

Sorry, but I left the wrist crackers off this time. Pollin' aint az eazy az it seems.....even when ya took the politikle science award at Bodine College. :wink:

regards
bearridge

ps One year there wuz 6 'er 7 owlets. I like the way their heads swivel.

O Lord, help me to be pure, but not yet. St. Augustine

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Dang. I jest realized I left the .380 off. Kin I git a geezer award? :wink: I left the wrist crackers off on purpose cuz I figgered folks jest dont tote 'em. Next poll I will try ta do better.

Self defense gun talk never ends. I figgered I had read enuff ta last a lifetime, but I aint had quite enuff yet. There iz a heap a stuff out there that folks repeat az true cuz they believe what anuther fella wrote. Hard ta believe somethin' like that could have so many different answers.

I listen closer ta folks who actually had ta use 'em in a tuff spot. I also like the Box of Truth pichurs. http://www.theboxotruth.com/ There iz some really good pichurs of shotgun shells somewhere on Mister Gore's web, but that dont stop folks frum tellin' how birdshot iz plenty ta stop a evil doer. Well..................the gene pool needs a good cleanin' anyway. :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

ps I meant ta add one fer all the autos frum .25-40. That iz why I left out the .380. :?

It aint what ya dont know that hurts ya. What really puts a hurtin' on ya iz what ya knows fer sho, that jest aint so. Uncle Remus

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
I reload for the 41, so I usually carry it with somewhat reduced loads. They still have a heap of power, but less recoil than full power loads. I actually seldom carry it on my person, but carry it in the truck and sleep with it beside me in the tent.

Jimmy

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Were I to think about it, then start from scratch to design a handgun for a normal, American citizen to carry, I would not be all that interested in ballistics and rate of fire.

Average person is not going to get into a firefight where long range accuracy (pardon me guys, your references to 7 yards and 15 yards is not my cup of tea - if you can't hit a pie plate consistently at 50 yards, go home) and rate of fire is all that useful. I would more expect to have to stop one or two assailants.

Here, I would prefer a punkin slinger. Say a .50 or .60 cal, traveling at about 1.200 or 1,500 fps would lodge a large chunk of lead inside the boiler room of a bad guy. The ball doesn't have to mushroom - it already is. Doesn't have to travel at ultra-sonic speeds. Pure foot pounds of energy does the job.

But, I'm not in the armament design business. And, some are not going to agree.

dawallace45

Jack

Now I've actually fired .50 and .60 calibre pistols at those muzzle velocities and I won't do it again , I've already got enough pain , don't need any more , they make firing a S&W 44mag with a 4" barrel with full loads feel like a 22 in comparison

David

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
What is a shooting idea doing in this section , I have been looking for it in the shooting section and thought someone dumped it. :twisted:

You guys are devious. :roll:

To answer Jacks post........

LEO'S , that is Law Enforcement Officers have to qualify ( anyway our Dept did , every Deputy ) at the 3 yard line , the 7 yard line , 15 yard line , 25 yard line 50 yard line and sometimes for a few of the combat shooters the 100 yard line with a 4 inch barreled handgun. The 100 was for fun and anywhere in the black on the silhouette was good.
It was not a pie plate but a oval about the size from a normal coffee can lid ( 3 x 4 inches) that was the X Ring or 10 zone.

The ones of us that shot competition had to keep them in that lid size target. The 3 , 7 and 15 yard was draw , point from the hip and fire , no sighting , the rest (25 yards, optional ) and up was sights.
Pie plates are for blind folks to shoot at. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The long barreled things called Rifles up to 500 yards with the same size X zone.

Chuck.
PS. All the shooting was with revolvers and timed with 12 shots , 6 out , reload and 6 more out in a time limit. ( A very short time limit 25 sec at the 3 yard line , I do love the speed loaders for the revolvers)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Wannabe said:
Chuck,
Set a pie plate on your chest and think about it. Don't let that ole blind man shoot at the pie plate while holding it on your chest. He'll probally hit it. :cry:
Bob

Ha Ha Ha , Been shot at by the best and missed , chit at and hit more times then I care to count. Such is life ... Or so they tell me.

Heck , I enjoy walking down dangers path , the best and most recent one was when camping with Kayak Jack , you survive that then you are indestructible , plus we even had fun on the trip.
I'm sure it was fun , anyway I thought it was and that's what oldyaker told me and I'm a trusting person. Besides I'm sure a Italian would never lie or tell a mis-truth , they are straight shooters.

Now if that landlocked person could just learn to read a tide chart and paddle accordingly it might of been easier but some guy's like Jack do things the hard way and enjoy a challenge. I know he studied it , he had our tide chart all afternoon and that night , plus the next morning and there were no pictures on it. Just numbers , dates and information for any southern paddler to understand or Yankee paddler to misunderstand.

Then they turn around and tell everyone about the trip while shifting the blame over on there host ( the innocent person or persons :( ) , some really bad manners if you ask me but I'm southern and don't understand the northern ways and how they accomplish those devious things. So being the nice guy that I am , I just go with the flow and let it roll off like water on a duck's back. :D

Such is life , chit at and hit again.......... A good bowl of grits ( Comfort Food ) takes care of those little problems and makes life sweet again. Bless , good Chow the food of the soul. :D

Chuck.
I had Vienna's on the trip , they relieve any stress when snacking on them , those delicious little wieners from heaven.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Dave,

You're likely right about kick. Can't dispute it. You probably didn't get the old Steve McQueen show "Wanted Dead or Alive" in the Oz land. He carried a sawed off lever action carbine he called the Mare's Leg. Which, of course, he shot faster than Chuck Connors did that bent handled lever action on The Rifleman (had a gawky kid).

I just happen to like a large chunk moving a bit slower rather than a small chuck zipping along. They tend to get the job done.

I read the tide charts to Chuckie as a bedtime story. He said, "Yes, Daddy. I unnerstnd them. We'll sail on the afternoon tide."

Which we did - but it was running in the wrong direction, again. do they make tide tables in Roman numerals? He might do better that way?

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Bear Wrote,

but that dont stop folks frum tellin' how birdshot iz plenty ta stop a evil doer.

Friend Bear, I have seen the damage bird shot can do to a human being,

Specifically Winchester 12 gauge, No 4 duck shot, at 20 yards and at 5 yards.

At 5 yards, anywhere in the body cavity, it is gruesomely lethal and at 20 yards just plain lethal.

SGs are certainly better, but other shot will also do the job mate.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldsparkey said:
What is a shooting idea doing in this section, I have been looking for it in the shooting section and thought someone dumped it. You guys are devious.
I wuz bored. It wuz hot. The sun 'n stars lined up rite. I decided ta go fishin'. Mebbe I oughta jest bury ya in the cornfield....'n eat a steak somewhere down the line? :wink:

regards
bearridge

Reintarnation: Coming back to life as a hillbilly.

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
Jack,
From Outdoor Life website:
http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/gear/article/0,19912,785817,00.html

"Developed by Cor-Bon/Glaser (at Smith & Wesson's request), the 500 S&W Special was introduced in August. A shorter-cased version of the 500 S&W, it is no different in concept from a .38 Special fired in a .357 Magnum, or a .44 Special in a .44 Magnum. And it functions perfectly in the S&W Model 500 while producing less recoil. Two loads are currently available-a 350-grain JHP at 1,350 fps/1,417 ft.-lb., and a 350-grain full- metal-jacket "plinking/practice" round at 1,300 fps. The shortened 500 S&W Special fits into a standard-sized large handgun frame while producing ballistics comparable to the .480 Ruger. Although no one is talking right now, I wouldn't be surprised to see a new, more compact .50-caliber revolver from S&W in the very near future."

dawallace45

Over the years I've had the pleasure and in some cases pain of shooting many large calibre hand guns , I've lost count of the many experimental heavy loads I've shot with 44 mag , 45 colt pistols , the 300 gn loads in .45 colt were a lot of fun but I've also shot handguns in calibres like 444 marlin , 45/70 , 454 casul , 480 ruger , 475 Linebaugh , 50 AE , 500 S&W , not to mention a series of single and double barrel Howdah pistols in calibres like .577 Snider , .577/450 Martini Henry , also a black powder load with a .65 conical bullet and 70 gn of black powder and the most ridiculous of the lot a DB Howdah in 600 nitro express , even with the light load the recoil was horrendous and it was all I could do to hold on to it , one shot of that one was more than enough for me , I managed to dislocate my trigger finger and screw up my right wrist and elbow so much that I could barely pick up a coffee cup for over a month ,

Yes large calibres do get the job done , but because of the excessive recoil they are much slower to get back on target and have a extreme tendency to go right through the target and carry on through walls there by being a danger to any one else in the area , they are also hard to train people with straight off

Yep remember the show , back in those days we got all the American westerns

I think the reason people talk about ranges of 7 to 15 yards is because most defence situations are closer than that and over that you start being on very shaky legal ground as to wether you are justified in drawing your gun and firing unless of course you are being threatened with a long arm , that is not to say that a pistol is not capable of hitting the mark at much longer distances , just that the powers that be will not believe you justified .

At one of our Christmas fun shoots I set up a IPSC round where you had to shoot out the headlights of a car at 80 metres , the car was cardboard and the headlights were standard clay targets , we had over 35 shooters that day and while only 5 of us hit the clay's only two of us did it with only 4 shots or less , on that day one of our shooters who happened to be a serving police officer bought along his Sergeant , the sergeant was a veteran of 23 years in the police service and reckoned he was shocked that any one could hit targets that size with aimed shots at that distance

If it were legal to carry a pistol concealed here in Australia for me it would be a 22 Beretta 71 , not because I think it the best round for self defence but because with our climate and light clothing it's the most practical , if it weren't then I'd love a 45 ACP or a 9mm and of course if I really thought I'd actually be going to a gunfight then it's no choice at all , I'd be carrying a rifle , but in the real world it's far better to have a .22 in the hand than a .45 back home in the safe or down the street in the glove box of the car , lets face it most people [ unless they happen to be Police officers and their needs are different ] who carry really don't think they will ever need to even draw their pistol in a threat situation , they only carry for the same reason they take out home or car insurance , [ they don't think they will ever need it but feel it's better to make sure ]

David

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Dave, your points are well made. Kick from a large bore can be tough on hte shooter. Kills on both ends.

One of the things I realized when I started shooting handguns was that the main reason a "handgun would not hit a target at, say, 50 - 100 yards" was simply because most shooters believed it to be so, and then made it so. About the next thing that I realized was, that the gun was not the limitation, the shooter was.

We routinely shot beer cans at first 50 yards, and later at 100 yards. (We had a lot of targets available for use.) Used .38 revolvers and 9mm autos.

I no longer shoot, am out of practice, and my eyes are no where near as good as they were when I was younger. But at 100 yards, I could pick which shoulder I would bust and hit a target that size, consistently. At anything under 50 yards, if someone had chosen to hold my wife in front of them as a shield, it would not have worked. I would put a bullet right next to her and into them. I doubt I could shoot like that now.