Saw this and had to get a couple of pics | SouthernPaddler.com

Saw this and had to get a couple of pics

Steve

Ran across this yesterday up near Cour D'Alene. According to the Park people there, this dugout dates back to the 1850's. It was built by the Cour D'Alene Indians who lived in that area. . . I thought it was interesting that the Cour D'Alene's didn't use dugouts until the white man settled the area. . . They preferred their lighter birch bark canoes. . . The Park people told me that they could build a birch bark in a week and could build one of these dugouts in a couple of months. . .

CourDAleneTripMay172009-61.jpg

CourDAleneTripMay172009-63.jpg

(yeah, I had to change what I wrote about how long it took 'em to build dem things. . . that what I get for tryin' to talk to two wimmens and type on here at da same time. . . Lord, have mercy. . . I do feel a mite foolish. . . (den agin, dat ain't a not usual thang fer me to be feelin' like, come t' t'ink of it. . .)

Steve

From what the Park people were saying the dugouts came about because of the Missionaries and the Mountain men that moved into the area with the Cour D'Alene Indians. The Cour D'Alenes being friendlywent along with them in the building of the dugouts but, according to the Park people, rolled their eyes everytime they had to make one. . . The Cour D'Alene Indians had pretty much the same take on the matter as you and I do Jack. . . but the Missionaries and the Mountain men were initially scared of such light boats and preferred the heavier harder to build dugouts. . .