Sabin River Trip | SouthernPaddler.com

Sabin River Trip

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
Sabine River Trip

Just returned from a 2.5 day trip down the river. This is an annual trip for several clubs and as such is mostly for fun and food. In all, it is my guess that there were about 100 + - people on this trip. They came from Dallas, Houston, Austin, Shreveport and other lesser- known locales.

All told, a good time was had by all. Most of the group slept late and took plenty of swim breaks during the day. The trip was 28 miles so the pace was a bit faster than Geezer speed but, with a 3 mph current it wasn’t to bad.

For y’alls information, if’n ya dosen’t know. The Sabine starts in Texas and flows into Louisiana just a bit Southwest of Shreveport. At that point, it becomes the deviding line between Coon A$$es and Smart A$$es for the rest of the way, ending up in the Gulf. The Northern portion of the River is very clear and the lower portion is stained by the Tannin from the trees.

If y’all have been on any “Mass Gaggle Trips” then you know it isn’t about the beauty but it is for the fun. I me-own self had a bit of both. In the mornings, Iwould get up and get going before the most of them were out of the tents. At some point, I would stop on a sand bar and wait for the group to arrive , then spend the rest of the day with them.

In this way, I got to experience the best of both worlds. 1, by seeing the river as it should be seen. As it “could have been” before we came along. And 2, by having the “social” portion for some of the day and evening.

I am not going to bore y’all with the many pics I took. Just one with the group and a couple that I think show the way the river should be seen.

007-1.jpg

009.jpg

014.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Good looking river and what a crowd on the sand bars.
Out of courtesy where there any tree hangers besides your self or did you use a tent. Escaping the tent crowd and hiding in the trees would of offered some solitude in the night time and with the full moon up there it should of been like daylight on the sand bars.

I have to ask . :roll: What is that round thing in front of the machete handle in your canoe ?

Chuck.

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Thanks for the report and the pics. 8)

Can't speak for the others, but I'd love to hear more about the trip and see a bunch more piccies.....

Mike

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
You MADE tha basket?? Nice work. I bought one, a bit smaller diameter, for my Granddaughter. She hikes it along quite well.

I load it up, and she says,"Grandpa, it's heavy".

"Of course," I say. "If it were light - I'd be carrying it."

Steve

Baldy, I don't know how I missed this thread but am glad I finally caught it :wink: . . . The Sabine, the Neches and the Angelina Rivers, for me, are about as close to Heaven as I can get without actually going :shock: . . . I am jealous of this trip and wish I could've been there. . . Now, this report makes me a tad homesick. . . . . :(