River Otters St.Mary Trip Repor . March 2010 | SouthernPaddler.com

River Otters St.Mary Trip Repor . March 2010

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bear,
I sent a similar trip report into Southern Paddler a few days after we made the trip on the St. Mary's. Yet for some reason it was not posted.

Harry (the "Commodore ") took the five of us up to Traders Hill on Sunday. We arrived at Traders Hill late that afternoon. Mac was there scrounging up some firewood. We no sooner exchanged greetings when Joe showed up and joined in the reunion. Harry Jr. brought along a big batch of pasta in marinara sauce, which was greatly appreciated by everyone there. A little after dark Bear graced us with his presence. We thought he would be spending the night in a motel and meeting us in the morning, yet he changed his mind and decided to camp out with the rest of us.

As the temperature dropped the more Chucks name came up in the conversation. In that he planned a nice trip for us, but amazingly enough, as the forecast looked more like ice, snow, and sleet, he decided to go to a family function instead. It proved to be a chilly night. At or just below freezing. Next morning we decided to go into town and enjoy one last homemade meal before we got on the river. By the time we all got unloaded and vehicles shuttled it was close to noon.

The first 3 to 5 miles on the river were rough.
Navigating around and through all of the blow downs with the fast moving current moving you at 2 to 3 mph was a real challenge. Within 30 min. into the trip Mac said "Looks like this trip is going to be REAL INTERESTING". It was one of those situations where you forced into making a quick decision as to how to deal with the obstructions. One false decision would leave you stuck on a hole that was slightly smaller then your loaded canoe, or the current pushing you broadside into the obstruction with the possibility of tipping over trying to get out. One spot most of were able to make it through a button hole opening in a blow down, but the rest got stuck and drag themselves out around the obstruction. At another point all of us had to portage around the obstruction. Needless to say we did not get as far as we had hoped, and there were no suitable camping spots for a group our size that were undeveloped.
We had to chance a night on private property, with a nice privillioan and open areas. We enjoyed the warmest night on the river, that is, the only night it was above freezing. As Bear and Joe sat around the campfire discussing politics. Mac and the rest of us enjoyed the night, and Mac's rantings on how he could not believe Chuck sent us out on this trip in which we would freeze every night, and not be there with us. He often said that "he felt that he had been fornicated by Chuck" throughout the cold evenings and windy days.

Next morning, day2, we decided to move on down river since we did not get as far as we had wanted, and we did not want to be run off by the land owner. Forecast was for rain as a cold front to came through. After breakfast, we loaded up and were on the river around 9:30. Unfortunately it started clouding up and by 2:00 we got out first pass of light rain and wind. So we pulled over and quickly set up our gear just in time before the rain and wind hit. Fortunately the rain did not last very long, but the stiff wind continued to blow for then next two days. Mac decided on a nice spot up on a sandy bluff. I keenly decided to put up my tent up right beside him, so he could block the wind for me. The wind seemed to change direction about every 20 seconds, whipping the smoke from the campfire in every direction.
That night the temperature went down to well below freezing. Cold enough that it chased all of us into our sleeping bags early. The next day Mac asked if I had a problem with my tent bulging in from the wind. It appears that he spent the night with the side of his tent about 6 to 8 inches from his face. If that was not bad enough, when he got up in the middle of the night to take a pee into his jug, somehow he managed to piss on his mat and sleeping bag. I have yet to figure if it was because of the a wind gust pushing him over, or because it was so cold out that he could not get is manhood to come out and do business as usual. I said to him "No Mac, it was nice and calm in my tent, now you know why I set me tent up right next to yours. BY the way I wanted to thank you for doing such a good job blocking the wind for me.with your tent". After which he said that how he felt that he had been fornicated by me as much as the Pr#$% Chuck.

The wind continued to blow all that night and all the next day, Having to paddle against the wind became a real concern for all of us. Especially since we were not as far down the river as we had hoped, and better yet, since Chuck erased the GPS coordinates from his GPS, we had no idea how far we had to go.
Bear had to move his hammock to a spot deeper into the woods to shade him from the wind. That night was chilly, maybe a little above freezing. The colder it got, the more Mac yapped about what he was going to do to Chuck as soon as he was could get him with in choking distance.

Day 4, Thursday, the day we had to move, for a long day paddling, against the wind. We rolled our gear up and were on the river early around 9:30. A strange thing happened that day, Mac who almost always ride at the back of the back for some reason was way out in front. I think the colder he got and the stronger the wind blew, the more frustrated he was at Chuck, which made him paddle faster. At one time I think someone could have water skied behind him. We paddled until around 4:00, we were afraid we might paddle too far into civilization and have to back track, so we pulled off into a dry muck area that worked nice for us.
We enjoyed a nice evening together. Chatting about the experiences we had on this trip and how they compared to the funny things that have happened on previous trips. And yes, there was extensive conversation about Chuck deserting us on this frozen river, and not being there to enjoy the pleasured of freezing half to death every night. Tried to eat and drink everything we had left over from the trip too no avail, we still had too much stuff left ofter we had to haul;back home with us. We had enough fresh water we could have all taken a shower, and enough toilet paper to tepee Chucks tent or hammock, if he was there.
That night was the coldest, I'd say 28, there was a layer of frost on all of our gear, and the mist coming off the river (which was 50 to 60 degrees) was heavy.

Day 5, Friday, Enjoyed our last breakfast and loaded up and were on the water by 9:30. It was a good thing we stopped when we did. Within 5 minutes we were passing the first home/lodge, and were at Thomkins Landing within 30 min. Exchanged some hugs and hand shakes before we departed. With this bunch, you are always wondering if one of the guys will not be around to enjoy the trip next time.

On this trip, as others I learned a few things.

1. If you have a GPS, make sure you go by the take out point and enter it into your GPS. Regardless how people feel
about them, it is nice to be able to plan where your next camp spot. so you can equlize the ammount
of paddling time you need to make each day you move.
2. Camping in weather at or just below freezing is possible, but would be much more enjoyable if the nights were 40 or
above.
3. One time use toe and foot warmers are are worth the cost on a cold night in the fart sack. Stick one between two
layers of socks, and your feet will be comfortable all night.
4. Freeze dried meals are not bad. I had three of them on this trip with excellent results.
5. Propane stoves are the only way to go. Despite the cost of the fuel, they are much more dependable than coleman
gas.
6. If it looks like it is going to be a cold rainy, windy night, be sure to set your tent up right next to Mac's so he can
block the wind and the elements.

All in all it was a good trip. Spending a few nights in the cold is worth it if you are able to spend them with guys that enjoy the outdoors as much as me.

Gary the "RiverOtter"

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
catfish said:
sparky i sure hope you are holding your ears :wink: :lol:

That's OK , I know all of them and it surprised me more then you can know that they actually found the take out point , much less places to camp during the trip. Wasn't worried about them locating the put in point , the outfitter showed them where it is.
As they say , Even a Blind Hog will find an acorn , now and then.

Chuck........