Retarding Drying of Wood | SouthernPaddler.com

Retarding Drying of Wood

olecajun

Feb 13, 2011
houma, la.
Getting ready to begin a dugout project. Couple years ago I built a half of a dugout from a grow back cypress log. I had the outside shape and approximately 90% complete. I started on the inside and once I got about 60% of the material removed from the bow section I started having minor splitting in the grain due to fast drying due to exposing both grain ends in a short distance. Before starting on the real thing I would like to search members knowledge on ways to prevent this problem. I have thought of applying some type of oil or sealing to these areas slow the drying process.
Also plan on a natural finish on final product. Any suggestions on a product that would penetrate the hull to prevent splitting as dugouts are known to do if not kept in water.
Thanks in advance for all help.

olecajun

Feb 13, 2011
houma, la.
olecajun said:
Getting ready to begin a dugout project. Couple years ago I built a half of a dugout from a grow back cypress log. I had the outside shape and approximately 90% complete. I started on the inside and once I got about 60% of the material removed from the bow section I started having minor splitting in the grain due to fast drying due to exposing both grain ends in a short distance. Before starting on the real thing I would like to search members knowledge on ways to prevent this problem. I have thought of applying some type of oil or sealing to these areas slow the drying process.
Also plan on a natural finish on final product. Any suggestions on a product that would penetrate the hull to prevent splitting as dugouts are known to do if not kept in water.
Thanks in advance for all help.

[with no bottom it won't float]

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Paint the ends of the log as soon as you get. Most water leaves through the end grain. Once you start shaping the log, managing the egress of the water is important. You want it to leave slowly to avoid splitting and cracking. We use a mixture of half mineral spirits and half boiled linseed oil. Apply liberally and wipe off. If you see small splits you need to apply more, if you see small black spots, that's mildew and you're not letting enough water out.
The other thing we do is to finish the outside to about 90 percent completion before starting to dig out the inside. The first step in digging out the inside is to chop out two holes to full depth just in back of what would be the breast hook on each end. Then you just have to manage the water for short distances on each end. It doesn't matter if the part that you're going to throw away splits and cracks.
The downside to using boiled linseed oil is that it sands like bubblegum and your final finish is whatever you can do with steel (plane, spoke shave,scrapers,whatever)
I think there is a thread on us building a dugout from a few years back, you may want to look for it. Also do an internet search for "the pirogue maker". And look at the short film from the late forties

Never tried a dugout with grow back but imagine it would be more brittle that old growth

olecajun

Feb 13, 2011
houma, la.
Thanks guys for the info. I have watched the Pirogue Maker many of times and still amazed at his talent. Just can't let this die.
Will take the ideas you all provided and put it to good use. The time required with steel to remove the linseed oil would be worth preventing any cracking. Also have read and looked at the post Seedtick and Keith put together on their dugout project and have to say I am looking at a lot of hard work, but the fish don't bite all the time and this should keep me out of the wife's way.
Have read everything I can find on the internet on cypress but know there is alot to learn still. I have communicated with a gentleman at DogTrot on a log but having some difficulty locating one with large enough OD. Seedtick/Keith, on your dugout post it looked like you all supplied your own log, if so do you all sell them also. If so please let me know and maybe I could help pay your light bill.LOL

Again Thanks.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
we're not in the cypress selling business

there are some folks around here that are, but a log good enough for a dugout just doesn't show up every day

if you're ok working with growback, there's an outfit in batchelor, jones and jones, or jones brothers, something like that that had some nice 30" or so growbacks. might want to give them a try