Relaxing Trip on the Brazos | SouthernPaddler.com

Relaxing Trip on the Brazos

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
The weather was hot 100 plus and I got to thinking how good that river water would feel. I called a buddy and we headed for the Falls on the Brazos. The river had really dropped and was clearing up pretty good.
I had grabbed the Laker a cooler with water and drinks and a few knifes that needed sharpening my arkansa tri stone . Kim was looking for bait and came up with this weird looking freshwater shrimp

062908_Rivershrimp.jpg

A pic over Kims bow going down the river

062908_Riverview.jpg

The little Laker still looks and paddles ok
062908_Ronarrives.jpg

The water was shallow and fast and the wind was really blowing hard upriver but we were rolling along at a good clip. I saw a coon washing his food in the edge of the river and the gar were rolling everywhere mullet jumping was a good day to be on the water. We paddled down several miles and found a big shade tree overhanging a sand bar and set up there.
Kim set up his rods and cought some blues and channels

062908_Blue.jpg

062908_Kimblue.jpg

I relaxed and sharpened away

062908_Ronsharpening.jpg

We spun tales and told fishing lies and then it was time to head back up to the Falls

062908_Ronpddling.jpg

The wind was blowing hard enough at times you could turn your paddle up and sail right up the river,after a couple miles it was time to portage
about a mile . The water is to swift and shallow so it is pulling time.

062908_Ronsboatportage.jpg

here is where we started , I am sure glad these boats float shallow

062908_RonFallstakeout.jpg

062908_KimFallsportage2.jpg

062908_RonFallsportage.jpg

We made it back loaded up and went looking for some ac but we had a blast
Ron

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Thanks fer them pichurs. Knowin' there wuz no skeeters made it look special. I got a big blood smear on my left knee frum one of many that bit me today. Damn Rachel Carson 'n the horse she rode in on!

regards
bearridge

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud