Red River Float | SouthernPaddler.com

Red River Float

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
The trip took two days for 20 miles. There was a 3-4 knot current so it wasn't bad. My question would be, do you think that these folks could qualify as geezers even tho they don'r make the age requirement ?

RRfloat-20.jpg

RRfloat-19.jpg

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Baldy,

Yer dang rite they kin. Stylish hats 'n stylish beach umbrellas....hard ta beat, less yer nappin'. :wink: The only problem mite be the twenty miles in two days. Mebbe they kin be on probation....til we see if they kin paddle a bit slower? :roll:

regards
bearridge

If electricity comes from electrons... does that mean that morality comes from morons? Unknown

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I agree with Bear , there outfits , the umbrellas ( We never thought of doing that ) laid back in the kayak. YEP... All signs of want to be Geezers except they paddled more then 5 miles a day.

The 5 mile limit is out MAX unless we plan on laying over two or three days at one camping spot then we might expand it to 7 miles. :lol:

20 miles in two day's , what was the rush ? Why the marathon ? Jeezzzzzzzz that is a 5 day 4 night trip for us , could be longer if necessary , which it normally is. :roll:

Those folks need to learn to slow down if they want to be real geezers ... On the water around 10 or 11 , then breaks ( river snacks ) every hour on any good looking sandbar and into camp at 2 or 3 the latest. Earlier if we actually have to paddle. :lol:

One trip we were on the river at the ungodly hour of 9:30 and found a good spot to camp at 12:00 , guess what ... Yep..That lunch break turned into two nights there. We aint speedy but we are good at being slow and having lots of fun.

Chuck.

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
I have shamed myself, but I honestly didn't know at the time.
I once paddled 45 miles in two days. What was I thinking?!
On that paddle, I did see lots of deer, raccoons, giant gar, opossums, one naked lady, (she was on a bluff overlooking the river, and invited me to come up. I declined.), caught a bunch of brown bass and blue gills, harvested a handful of mussels(Your not supposed to eat them, but I did, and they were good.), Ate a lot of fried fish, some NY strip, grilled over red oak deadfall, got chewed up by chiggers, drank the better part of a gallon of Sangria and the better part of case of beer, shot a squirrel with a Ruger .22 pistol and tried to grill it laying directly on the coals( I ate some jackrabbit in SW Texas, with some Mexicans, who laid the "Butterflied" rabbit directly on the coals, and it was very good. Tough, but quite tasty. My butterflied squirrel was not tasty, and VERY tough. Apparently, the recipe is not transferable!)
All in all, It was a great trip, until I found out it shoud have taken two weeks. (Thanks a lot guys!)
On the other hand, I had three days off from the slave drivers who thought I would be better served, by work, rather than enjoyment.
Well, I fooled them! I got all the enjoyment possible in those three days.
(Well, maybe the naked lady could have enhanced the enjoyment, but east Oklahoma is no place to go into the woods with ANYone you don't know!)
I was in my early fourties at the time. I'm getting smarter! Honest, I am!

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
I once paddled and camped with Chuckles......The second night in camp, I could still see smoke from the campfire up river where we camped the night before! :shock:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Singin' Jim,

There aint many 40 year old geezers, :wink: so that 45 miler dont count agin ya. Now that yer good 'n ripe, dont be tryin' ta paddle more'n a few miles a day 'er I mite have ta put ya on probation frum the paddlin' geezer canoe clud. Mebbe we need ta paddle alongside ya....jest ta make sho ya slowed down in yer golden years? :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

I believe that all government is evil, and that trying to improve it is largely a waste of time. H.L. Mencken