Racing pirogue slimed | SouthernPaddler.com

Racing pirogue slimed

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
Got her slimed pretty good Sunday. Crappie, mushrooms, and a trophy deer skull. Only way you could have a better spring day in Missouri is if you shot a turkey too.
We went on a little training run, paddled about 4 miles and had to make a couple stops at fishing holes and walk a creek valley for morels and found the deer skull. After we got the skull home a steel #2 shot gun pellet fell out of the skull. Damn poachers, of course their shotgun didn't stop the deer right away. He was dead on public no hunting state park land. Anyway quite a find for us. Amanda found it, I saw the bone pile and failed to see the skull.....twice!
P1010152.jpg

Tom

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
I am usually quite attuned to finding antlers, don't know how I missed it, I saw it on the ground in front of her from 40 yards away when she called out "look what I found" Better her than I anyway, I have enough of an antler collection I don't know what to do with.

We also heard a loon (a rarety in Missouri) and saw a bald eagle up pretty close (not so rare any more.-)

Also picked and tried fiddleheads for the first time. Fiddle heads are emerging fern curls that are purported to be a little delicacy. They are definitely different, I would try them again.

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
There were some nice ones. I think the biggest was over 12 inches. Only threw back one or two I deemed too small for filleting. Cloudy day so they were biting a little slow. Used tube jigs under a bobber about 12 to 16 inches. This method works great specially with a fishing boat you have to paddle. I haven't been fishing much in a long time without a trolling motor. You kinda have to adjust your techniques a little.
BTW.....got that turkey this morning. :D

Tom