question for dwallace | SouthernPaddler.com

question for dwallace

hairymick01

Mate,
I'm sure Dave will be along shortly but I can tty to answer your questions.

Yes we do have very tough gun laws. A rule of thumb is that any sort of automatic, semi auto rifle or repeating shotgun are completely prohibited.

To get a locense for any other sort of firearm one needs to be an accredited member of a regisyered shooting club ie clay targets, etc. OR have written permission from a property (ranch) owner.
Or be a registered gun collector.
I think Dave falls into all of those categories.

Dave is one of the very few Aussies left who has the tenacity to jump thru all the government hoop to retain his license

did the rest of us ALL surrender ALL of pur now so called illegal weapons?

dawallace45

Joey

Having just moved house I've either been with out Internet or with very limited Internet until about a week ago and then I just didn't have time to be looking at the computer much , too busy unpacking and such so I pretty much missed this post until now , Mick pretty much covered it all with his posts unless you want in-depth of our gun laws in which case I can probably find you a link to the Qld Police web site

But basically we can have any long arms except Full auto and semi auto rifles and shot guns and pump action shotguns , strangely enough we can have pump action rifles and the authorities have no problem with lever-action rifles , but we do have to jump through hoops to get licences in the first place and and there is a process for every new firearm as well , Mick was wrong on one aspect , it is possible to get a special class C licence to own semi-auto shotguns and rifles if you can come up with a reason and want to go through the process and expense , actually the expense part is mainly because those sorts of firearms are now extremely expensive now because they are rare and if you want one new it has to be imported special order

Back when I was teaching firearm safety and handling I qualified to apply for a class C licence just for the simple reason that I would need one to teach the Class C weapons course , I didn't bother at the time and stopped teaching the courses several years later , if I wanted to take up competitive shotgun shooting I would only be able to do so if I were using a semi-auto shotgun , my tendonitis and arthritis in my shoulder are bad enough that shooting a full match would be a extremely painful experience for me , I still hunt with a shotgun but a normal session on rabbits would only result in about 5 or 6 shots over a hour or two and I can put up with that , a class C licence on medical grounds requires lots of details and forms from doctor and such and they loom at it very thoroughly

David

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Thanks, David. In other words, the government discourages the casual ownership of firearms. If you want them, you have to pay with time and money. I guess your government GAVE you the right to own weapons , they can dang well take it away.
Our Constitution declared that we ALREADY had the right..........no permission need be given. BUT, they intend to not make it as easy as it was in the past to own them. "Yes , Mr. Smith, you may have a gun.....no problem. Just fill out this stack of forms, taxi said forms back and forth between the proper authorities , pay the government absurd amounts of money and , if things go well you might have your gun in say.....ooohhh.....six months or so." Ain't pretty, but that's what's coming here.

Joey