Q re Pirogue Sides | SouthernPaddler.com

Q re Pirogue Sides

I'm itching to build a pirogue. I've been studying plans and pictures and reading and sketching and dreaming and...well, you get the picture.

I'm really interested in building a pirogue using this method :http://ngc704.home.comcast.net/~ngc704/herbc/. I like the light weight, and building technique.

One question, though, is about the height of the sides. Aluminum coil comes in 10.5" and 14" widths. I'm leaning towards the 14" for the sides, but wonder what the experts say?

Guess I should also add that I'm planning on a 14' boat with 32" beam...

Basically, 10.5" or 14" sides?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The higher the sides the more freeboard you will have , also the higher sides will end up weighing more then the lower sides because it will require more wood for the higher sides.
I think the question is which would you feel safer with the lower sides or the higher sides and what type of water will you be using the boat in ?
Will there be wind to blow the higher side boat round or waves that could swamp the lower side boat. Also how good of a swimmer are you and you do wear a flotation device.

Phishtech

Jul 30, 2009
Get your aluminum trim coil from Home Depot. It's on the roofing aisle and comes in a box. It's 24" x 50' long and is .019" thick. The thin stuff that Lowe's sells isn't what you want to use. There are a couple of build posts on this forum (including mine) that show the finished product. The original model that came in at 17 lbs. works, but is a little bit shy in the safety department for my use. I bought the JEM touring pirogue plans and used them for my build, which came in at 42 lbs. Still a lot lighter than any of my shorter plastic kayaks, and she can fly on the water.

Final total for my boat: 42 lbs. 15'-1" in length 27.5 in. wide at the top, and 24.5 wide at the bottom. She is plenty strong for a big boy like me and water tight.

Phishtech said:
Get your aluminum trim coil from Home Depot. It's on the roofing aisle and comes in a box. It's 24" x 50' long and is .019" thick. The thin stuff that Lowe's sells isn't what you want to use. There are a couple of build posts on this forum (including mine) that show the finished product. The original model that came in at 17 lbs. works, but is a little bit shy in the safety department for my use. I bought the JEM touring pirogue plans and used them for my build, which came in at 42 lbs. Still a lot lighter than any of my shorter plastic kayaks, and she can fly on the water.

Final total for my boat: 42 lbs. 15'-1" in length 27.5 in. wide at the top, and 24.5 wide at the bottom. She is plenty strong for a big boy like me and water tight.

Great info. Did you cut the coil in half? By my fuzzy math, that would make 12" sides...

Phishtech

Jul 30, 2009
The sides are 10" like the JEM plans call for. I made my bottom rail 1.5" wide and the top 1" wide. If I had to do it again I would find some clear cedar trim boards 10-12 ft.x6" and scarf them together then lay out the bottom rail the proper way using the JEM plans, then cut them out. That way, it would relieve the stress I put on the rails by having to force the bow into the bottom rail. If I do it again, I'll lay out the sides full length on brown paper (comes in a roll) then just match the rails to the top and bottom of the full panel and add ribs.

The original had ribs 16" apart to save weight. I put mine 14" in the front and back where very little weight would be and 12" in the middle section where I'd be sitting. To do it again I'd probably use 2" on both rails and leave out the inwale (which I had to use to splint a split scarf on one side). To do it again I'd shoot for 30 lbs. Most first builds tend to be over built.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
If you want to build the Herb Cottle pirogue because you just want to build something cool and experiment with light weight design, I'd say go for it. If you want a pirogue to actually USE........ throw in the back of the truck..., brush up against rocks, trees, sticks.......catch a few fish over 2 lbs and not have them make permanent dents in your boat...... go with a wood sided boat. Used VERY carefully, the design is serviceable. If you're the type of guy that puts down paper on the floor of your truck when it's muddy or carpet under heavy objects in your truck bed, this may be the design for you.

I'd suggest making a pattern of the sides before you buy your trim coil. As designed, 14" wide coil will just give you 10 or so inches of side height. You have to allow for 3-4" of reverse cut at the chines plus the height of the sides.

100_1331.jpg

Reactions: John kieffd

Hydrophillic

Feb 11, 2011
With all that has been said on the matter I might add something. I did the reverse chine on my first boat but did not like the amount of rocker it put in the boat.
On the second boat I followed the LSU plans whereby the bottom chine is cut out by 2'' or something. If you use cedar fence pickets they come in my area in 6'' widths. That being said, you can determine the width of the chines when you rip down the boards to accommodate the cut out and leave enough room to place the trim coil on. if you do it like I said the part where the trim coil is placed will be a rectangle and 14" trim coil will work.