Punching out pigs. | SouthernPaddler.com

Punching out pigs.

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
I raised hogs for about fourteen years. Not a huge number, my biggest year I raised 70.
My first boar was a pure bred hamp, and he was a 800 pound pet dog. Very friendly, he would follow me around, hoping to get scratched behind his ears.
After a few years, all the sows were his daughters and grand daughters, and great grand daughters.You can breed back for a few generations, but then the genetics get strange. The offspring have long noses, are scrawny, and go crazy,so it was time for Humphry to go.
I couldn't find another registered hamp immedietly, and a friend had a registered york that I bought. A york/ hamp is a good cross. The pigs are as chunky as hamps and as long as yorks.
Unfortunatly, yorks are nowhere near as mellow as hamps. And Clyde was an "AMPED" york! Very bad tempered!
Well one Saturday morning, I was casually doing chores, I saw that the water trough in the pen that Clyde was in, was turned over. I was wearing just a pair of cut offs at the time, and they were quite frayed.
I straddled the fence, to turn over the water trough, and entangled my frayed shorts in the barbed wire.
I was trying to disentangle my crotch, when I saw movement out of the corner of my eye. Clyde(Who weighed over 1000 pounds at this time), had his head turned sideways, and was about to chow down on my leg!
(He looked like a flippin' crocodile!)
Although my crotch was still hung up on the barbed wire, my feet were pretty well set, and I did the only thing I could do-I punched him
in the eye.
I could not have been set any better for the blow, and I must have caught him with his feet crossing.(Those of you who have been fighters know what it means to be caught with your feet crossing.) Because I cold cocked him!
His front legs folded beneath him, his tongue was laying in the dirt, and I must have twisted my fist as I hit him, because there was a large gash under his eye, and he was bleeding freely.
As I was still trying to get my testicles to a place of safety, my youngest son, who unbeknownst to me, had watched this specticle.
He was 14 at the time, six inches taller than me, and had an attitude. We had been having some problems.
He said"Remind me never to piss you off!". I said"Hold that thought"!
A few years later, I was badly injured, and had to move off the farm. When we loaded Clyde for his last ride, he weighed 1,400 pounds. And he came through the small opening between the tailgate, and the roof of a covered trailer. A fearless friend,with three foot chunk of inch and a quarter black pipe,drove him back in the trailer.
I was never so glad to send a hog to slaughter!!!!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
During meat rationing in WWII we butchered a York. Meaner'n a snake. Dad had to back the hog with a bushel basket over his head, and steer him by moving the basket left or right. The hog kept backing up, and Dad kept moving forward. When the basket came off, a .22 bullet replaced it.

I had a foxhole dug, from which I used my little wooden rifle to fight my share of the war. Hog guts filled my foxhole, and I had to become cavalry after that.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Jim,
When I was in the 2nd grade we lived in Hico. I went out in one of the shop/barns and found a garbage can lid. Got me a can of black paint off the workbench and a paint brush and painted black circles on my Sheild. Got me a stick and made a sword. Took my shield and sword to the hog pen, climbed in and went to fighting hogs. They just kept moving out of my way trying to get away from that big bad brave Knight. Here I am at 61 years old and I'm still wondering why those hogs didn't run over me and eat me.
Bob

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Heck, he blew out the campfire twice........frum twenty paces! Tole us not ta worry....he had a remote ta change stations on hiz tv 'er lite up hiz homeland secure lantern 'n scare the dookey outta coons.