Prototype paddle | SouthernPaddler.com

Prototype paddle

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
I made a prototype double paddle to see how I liked the double blades and if so to help determine the length. It was cheap and it works extremely well except not having a drip ring is about to drown me. I used a closet pole (I shaped it a little) and some scrap luan plywood from the pirogue build. I did saturate the luan with epoxy and fiber glassed one side with some scrap 4oz from the pirogue build. I used the following info which includes a printable template for the blades. For spending about $5 it works great.

http://www.amateurboatbuilding.com/ProjectJustRight/Chap17.htm

072109_213000.jpg

072109_213001.jpg

072109_213100.jpg

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Greg, Our very own imaginative (but rather skinflintery) Joey Dupre' designed a drip ring that is really great. Imagine a cheap, paper cone water cup. Cut out the pointy bottom so the hole is the same as the diameter of your paddle shaft.

Now, make that cup out of a sheet of flexible plastic, cutting a semi circle. Have a bit extra along the edge to overlap and glue it together. Experiment with cheap paper first.

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
Kayak Jack said:
Greg, Our very own imaginative (but rather skinflintery) Joey Dupre' designed a drip ring that is really great. Imagine a cheap, paper cone water cup. Cut out the pointy bottom so the hole is the same as the diameter of your paddle shaft.

Now, make that cup out of a sheet of flexible plastic, cutting a semi circle. Have a bit extra along the edge to overlap and glue it together. Experiment with cheap paper first.

That's a good idea. I wrapped and glued some rope around the ends the other day but I haven't tried it yet to see if it works. If it doesn't then Joey's design tried next.

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
Kayak Jack said:
Rope is a good secondary application, but does poorly as the number one deterrent to water back flowing down a shaft.

The rope worked good for about 5 minutes until it became saturated. After that it was pretty much useless. On to Joey's ingenious solution.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Cotton works much better than a petroleum based material. None worked well up front; they work better if right behind a regular drip ring. Several could maybe replace a drip ring and be light weight, simple, and effective. Take several wraps around the shaft, and wrap them tightly on the shaft - but with spacing in between wraps - so water doesn't sneak underneath. Tie off & leave ends dangling an inch or two.