Perry's Bayou Skiff Build | SouthernPaddler.com

Perry's Bayou Skiff Build

PerryM

Feb 26, 2014
Lacombe, Louisiana
Well I finally made up my mind on which boat to build and decided Uncle John's Bayou Skiff was the best bet for me. Purchased the plans and got the wood from Home Depot. I'm using 1/4" AC fir plywood for the sides and bottom and 3/4" pine boards for the rails etc. Cut the plywood pieces last weekend and scarfed the sides. I forgot how difficult fir can be to sand smoothly but think my scarfs came out pretty good for a newbie. (plan on posting pics eventually) All my fiberglass goodies arrived today from Raka... they are some really nice folks. Hopefully I'll cut the transom this weekend and scarf the bottom joint. Might even get some of the scarfs glassed up if I get the courage. I've done lots of woodworking in the past but this will be my first time using fiberglass. All advice will be appreciated. :D I really like the bow stem on the UJ pirogue. Any thoughts on wether or not that will work for the skiff? Thanks in advance. Looking forward to getting to know everyone here. :D

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
I have NOT built an UJ's Skiff, but I have built one of his Pirogues. If you are talking about the stem that when viewed on-end is shaped like a Christmas tree, I see no reason why it wouldn't work. The Pirogue can be built without that refinement, but I found it easy to make.

If you've made the pirogue, you should be able to translate the method to the Skiff stem. I'd say it's worth a try, anyway. If it doesn't go well, you should be out only one 2 ft of 2X4 or so.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

PerryM

Feb 26, 2014
Lacombe, Louisiana
Thanks Mike. I'm gunna give it a shot. This being my first build I'm gunna stick to the plans, but I really like the pirogue stem much better than the skiff's. I'll let you know how it turns out.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Somehow this post skipped by me..... :oops:

The stem for the pirogue and the one for the skiff could be different since the skiff is wider and has more rocker in the boat then the pirogue does. I like to say that the skiff is nothing more then an wider square sterned pirogue .
I have built both and can not say if they are different of the same , as far as constructing the kits for both boats it would be simpler to have them the same but since it is a different boat it could be different and only one person knows..........

Contact Uncle John and see what he has to say or do as you said , staying with the plans is the safer bet.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Staying with the plan is always the safe bet. And when I had a question when building my UJ's Pirogue, I wrote Uncle John, and even called him. That was a while back, but hopefully, he's still as helpful and talkative now as he was then.

But a "safe bet" is no fun at all! As it's been said all over this Forum, "It's only wood and epoxy." If you are curious, give it a try. You really have to work hard to do something you can't either un-do or at least re-do. :D Remember, failure is always an option!

As long as it isn't a curved stem, and this one isn't, you should be able to measure the angle of the stem and make the same double-cuts as you do for the Pirogue. And the plan does you bought does give you the angle that you need.

Sheet 4 of the Pirogue plans show how that stem is cut, all you really need is the angles from the Bayou Skiff plans and a scrap piece of 2X4 to practice on. You can see the plans for the Pirogue on UJ's web site without the measurements. That, along with the Skiff plans should be all you need.

Perry, I know you can do it! 8)

Mike S.
Spring Hill, Fl

PerryM

Feb 26, 2014
Lacombe, Louisiana
Thanks guys. I'm definetly gunna give it a try on a 2x4 scrap. If it turns out well I have some oak from a tree that fell during Hurricane Katrina that will become the permanent bow stem. Hoping to work on it this weekend but lots going on here so it might have to wait till after work one day next week. :(

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
PerryM said:
Well I finally made up my mind on which boat to build and decided Uncle John's Bayou Skiff was the best bet for me. Purchased the plans and got the wood from Home Depot. I'm using 1/4" AC fir plywood for the sides and bottom...... :D

Is the plywood rated exterior? I'm only asking because I have not seen any exterior rated plywood at HD that was graded AC. I would like to find something better than the pine BC grade that I have found. Which store?

Thanks, beekeeper

PerryM

Feb 26, 2014
Lacombe, Louisiana
I'm sorry Beekeeper, my mistake. It's actually BC plywood. Been so hot here my mind must have been thinking about how good the ac feels. s far as I know the plywood does contain exterior glue. I apologize for the confusion.

PerryM

Feb 26, 2014
Lacombe, Louisiana
Hey isn't there a post somewhere on here about how to post pictures? I can't seem to find it. Also, can someone recommend a good picture hosting site to use? Thanks

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
PerryM said:
Hey isn't there a post somewhere on here about how to post pictures? I can't seem to find it. Also, can someone recommend a good picture hosting site to use? Thanks

Yep , We have a couple posts about that , here is one and more information in the post.......
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3927

Another post with some to select from.... One word of warning Photobucket does drop pictures at times and all you have is a blank.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1032

PerryM

Feb 26, 2014
Lacombe, Louisiana
I haven't given up on my build... just been very busy with work. Having some puter problems too. My next step is to glue up the scarf joints. Been kinda dragging my feet cuz I'm feeling a little intimidated by the epoxy process. I'm also wondering if I should use heavier glass on the bottom. Only ordered 4 oz for the whole skiff. I'll keep you updated.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
I'm with Jack on this one! The 4oz will likely be just fine. If that is what I had on hand, that is what I'd use.

Anyone questions you about your choice, look 'em dead in the eye and say, "I built the light-weight racing version," and let it go at that. :)

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Wannabe said:
Chuck,
Did you hear of any big Lightening Strikes up Jack's way? I've always heard that if you tell a big Whopper that lightening would strike you. I sure did like Jack. Dang :(
Bob

Nope no lighting strikes that I know of. I understand when Jack was born his eyes were blue and after he started telling folks things bout himself they turned BS brown and that level of BS has never gotten low enough to let his blue eyes shine threw. :roll:
I guess that is why everyone enjoys him on here so much.