Part Five | SouthernPaddler.com

Part Five

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
The jorney begins
About four in the morning the camp was slowly beginning to awaken. Several made trips to the out houses. Some began to light fires for the morning breakfast soon to come. Others tended to chores around the camp. Bedrolls were folded for the last time at this camp. All had thoughts on the coming march. Some had a slight fear, some impatient, some not really caring about any of it. But all ready for what ever was to become.
Backin the lodge the men came down to a table set for a king. Jean had made this special knowing that it would be years before any of these men would see such a spread again. There were meats of all kinds. Duck, venison, bear, antalope, hog, chickens fried. There were eggs cooked in a large fry pan. Breads abounded everywhere. Rye, wheat, sweetbreads, muffins. Vessels stood with brims full with drinks. Hot kettles steamed with coffee and some with a rather new comodity known as coco. The fire in the fireplace was burning with warmth. The air was sweet from the smell of all the foods. Bags and other gear had been brought down from the rooms and piled up near the door for each man to claim his own and take it to pack on the mules already waiting for them outside. Each man was responsible for his own needs and packing. Many had hired Floatfur to pack their gear. he had a natural nack for fitting everything in a very samll place. A fact that made Merryweather look for him in bays in the south. He found him and convinsed him that he'd make his wealth in the west. Now the men sat down at the lavishly adorned table. Jean cleared her throat and said," I know many here and out there, will have a long spell before ye will see a place such as this again fer a very long time. My prayers and thoughts be with ye and forget not this place when ye return these ways."
"None shall forget madam," murmmered Chuck. "Recon I'll not forgit thiz hare place young lady!" said Bear. Jack grunted an approval. Merryweather spoke for them all then," My Lady, we shall never forget thy hospitality nor thy fine foods. We have packed as much as we dare of the many foods you have perserved for us. The men will remmebre thy house when we are deep into the woods and meals will only come twice a day and not large ones then. I salute thee and thy home!" He raised his cup and the others foloowed suit. With mugs held high, the men chanted "Here! Hear!" and drank from their own. So the meal began. Chuck and Burch Bark were still a tad sleepy. Rather than wake up early to gather the remaining meat in the woods they had desided to go then , at night, and collect their bounty in meats. They did get back by eleven o'clock but with the packing and all it was one o'clock before they turned over in their beds. They were hard men of the trail and sleep didn't consern them now... later it would.
In the camp down at the creek all was ready to move out by five in the morning. The men sat around the fire place while Kahuna packed his last pieces of equipment. Boats, canoes, iron tools for cutting, beating, sawing, hammering, ropes, laterns, oils, hooks of all sizes, lead was melted and placed into loafs to load on the mules, metal for objects to make later, foods were packed and loaded onto mules and wagons. All was ready. Everyone there was ready. Merriment consumed them all what ever fears any had were set aside this morning. The trip was to begin. The chores along the way were now looked foreward to. Knives and hatchets were groomed again for the tenth time in as many days. Guns were cleaned again by some while waiting. Almost fifty men ready to march out into the unknown. Unified with a purpose and a direction. Their leaders were compitant men. Their jobs secure in their plans for any tomorrow. Yes, they are waiting to get up and begin this venture. Horses and mules senced this fromt hese men. They raised front legs and stomped the ground in anticipation. Dogs ran up and down the lines barking also knowing that something big was to happen. The temperture was cold but not as cold as it had been this past week. A good sign that Merryweather knew what he was talking about. There were older men here who would over the course of time pass on to the younger skills needed to survive this wilderness. Some men were new to this country some were old hands at traveling the back woods. Everyone could learn something from the othere if they would only listen. Knowledge in the back woods will not only keep you going, it will out and out save your skin when the axe dropped on you. Some had had dealings with the red man , some could tell stories around the camp fires about the results upon those who didn't understand the redman and his many ways. All listend to these stories. All would benifit from them. Tension built.
From up on the hill where the lodge sat there came the sounds of animals moving towards them. The fire's light made out a group of people coming down to jointhem. It was almost six. The figures emmerged from the shadows and there were the men from the lodge with Merryweather in the lead. Greetings were made all around. No man left out . Each now smilling. Each man with a gleam in their eyes.
"Are you all ready?" Asked Meriwether.
In one solid, unified shout they all answered,"Yes!" "Then let us proceed!" Meriwether said and moved his arm and up then in a foreward swing he stepped out into the still dark night . The journey began. Oh the thoughts that men have when they travel together . Those beginning moments of the first steps always have men thinking. Thinking about what is up ahead. reviewing what they need to ponder, wondering about tomorrows. Yes, they have begun what some will not be able to finish. But there was no concern about that in anyone's mind. Watching them move out and beyond the darkness of the tree line the men marched outward and onward. The morning lights just beginning to come up... and when it did the last of the force had moved into the darkness of the woods.

A

Anonymous

Friend Swampy,

Hurry up 'n git ta the next eatin' spot. I got hongry readin' that long part toward the end without vittles. Reckon they kin stop fer a snack purty soon? Haz Kayak Jack got hiz Tri Chi? I sho hope somebody brung the sesame street oil. What kinda handle iz on the skillet?

I bet the High Sheriff iz totin' some Panola. I sho hope its the green kind.

regards,

bearridge

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Scuffling of feet, chattering voices from the back of the boat:

"SWAMPEEEEEEE. Are we there yet?"

"Chuckies on my side of the boat. Make him move!"

"I gotta pee."

"How much farther, Swampeeeeeeeee?"

"I gotta pee."

From the front seat: "DON'T make me turn this boat around. Be quiet back there!!"

Sniffling in the back, murmers, then, "Unca Swampy. Chuckie doesn't hafta pee anymore."

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
:shock: This is gonna be a long trip I see.... :D

You kids behave! Or I'm gonna pull over to the next massacer area and put ya out! :lol:

Ain't author's liberty jest great!? :lol:

swampy

note to self: In next chapter have Sparkey sit in front and Burch Bark play with a crossword puzzle on his "travel game set". Switch at next chapter... this may help keep them quiet..... ( Now I'M dreamin!)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
PAW.....PAW .... PAW .....PAW
Hits all Burchey Barks fault ... he just don't play fair.. :x ..Keeps dropping warm water on my hand whiles I is sleeping, told Maw about hit and all she could say was wait till urine's Paw gets home and ya get now .....scram ...skedaddle.......go down and jump in the riber to wash youns pants.

That is when I got my ears whupped cause I said ...heck paw is just out playing with his boat all of the time and visiting that wider Jones who lives down river..... Boy , Ma was sure heaping mad :evil: , guess birchy bark is in fer it now :D , or could hit be ya Paw. :? Anyway I is safe , fer now ..of to the riber to wash myself and the pants. :oops:

Could this be the conception of the idea about birth control.? ... history will tell us or it might be the wider Jones....stay tunned in to find out .

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
YES , FOLKS .... History was made

The feud continued on and into the later part of there life's and one of them went on to made kayaks, actually both did make a kayak but one very educated ( the best looking & much younger , handsome , friendly, compassionate , did I say better looking ?) family member went on to turn an embarrassment into a great boat ... a Pee row , since the other was in a rut and just thinking about yaking ...oooop's ..... that is kayaks.

DISCLAIMER......... Names are withheld to protect the guilty. This is true cause the hysterical facts have it registered with the National Hysterical Society.....and that is a fact , Ya bet Ya . Gritz forever.

Now I have this bridge in Brookland that is fer sail ..or sale , whatever. Interested call BR -549 , operators are standing by & by & by & by.