Paint Rock | SouthernPaddler.com

Paint Rock

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Fellas,

I tole this tale once, but I caint find it.....so I aim ta tell it agin. Jimmy W reminded me of it when he tole how hiz Blue Hole OCA got stuck on Paint Rock. That rock iz on Section III of the Chattooga River. Got that name frum all the paint it scraped off canoes 'n kayaks since they made "Deliverance" there 'n over on Tallulah Falls.

Now the rock itsownself aint that big a deal, ya'll seen how Lewis, Drew 'n the others hit rocks 'n bounced off? But that undercut iz a big deal. I dont keep a talley on folks who been pinned there, but I reckon most of 'em drowned. It iz likely the most danger on Section III.

It wuz April 'er early May in the late 1990's. Miz Bear'n me took some Yahoos fer my elder daughter (the one doin' the cancer surgery at the hospital where we took Miz Bear last month) 'n her boyfriend. My daughter aint a big gal, but she stuck the nose of my Blue Hole OCA inta the eddy jest above the Bump on the Nantahala.....a scary spot that most of the folks I paddle with have left alone. Had it all ta myownself til that day my daughter pulled up in there beside me.

She had done well on the Nantahala, but she sez "no more Blue Hole OCA....too danged big fer a slender gal". Her boyfriend done okay. There wuz a fella frum our hometown named James who iz the son of a fella who wuz in our first rock 'n roll band. [James' grandfather showed up at the ICU last month ta visit someone in anuther critical care unit....he recalled how loud we played 40 years ago.]

After we run the Nantahala, we dropped by the new NOC store. I glanced at the water level board. There wuz decent water on the Chattooga....jest over 1'. I got a standin' rule that if there iz water, I head out early the next mornin'. Back at camp, all the paddlin' geezers begged off.....too wore out 'n lookin' ta feast in Bryson City at the Fryemont Inn.

That evenin' there wuz a fella with us who runs a whitewater program jest like ours at a junior college 50 miles away. He 'n some of hiz kids wuz listenin' ta me tellin' our folks bout Section III. Some of hiz kids lit up like a pin ball machine 'n begged ta go along. Their leader sez he gotta dwell on that a while. I begun ta load my canoe. My daughter 'n her boyfriend (who iz a Faulkner scholar, not a linebacker) sez they aim ta give it a try. James sez "I wanna go too". There wuz nobody ta tell James "no", so we had four....three who had never seen the Chattooga 'n one who had only paddled it twice.

Since it wuz jest me on point 'n no ole hand on sweep, the other leader sez hiz college kids caint go. [He had never paddled it.] Turnt their smiles upside down, but lookin' back it wuz the rite call. When ya got other folks' kids in yer care, ya gotta make good calls. I didnt really figger all of the ole hands would beg off. Section III iz a long stretch with a heap a big rapids, includin' three waterfalls 'n the big, bad Bull Sluice at the end. I never give no thought ta runnin' Bull Sluice.

Next mornin' before the sun come up we all crowded inta my pickup 'n headed out ta the Sunset Cafe in Franklin.....we always stop there fer the mitey fine breakfast they fix. Miz Bear 'n me ate there with our pals Paddlin' Gator 'n Miz Nancy back in October. The back road along the Little Tennessee River iz a fun part of the day....even when it turns ta gravel fer a mile 'er so.

My paws are sore 'n I reckon anyone who read this far needs ta give hiz eyes a rest....so like the little pardners south of the border sez "hasta la vista".

regards
bearridge

The longer we live, and the more we think, the higher value we learn to put on the friendship and tenderness of parents and of friends. Parents we can have but once; and he promises himself too much, who enters life with the expectation of finding many friends. Dr. Samuel Johnson

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Even after ya leave the Sunset Cafe, ya got another 30-45 minutes ta the put in at Earl's Ford. We have always stopped at the NOC outdoor post on the Chattooga ta change clothes 'n look fer folks ta paddle with...someone who mite know the river better'n me. However, this time we wuz outta luck.

The long tote down frum the parkin' lot ta Earl's Ford aint az tuff at the march on the Bataan, but it iz long 'n steep. I wuz whupped when we finally got all the boats 'n gear downhill. The river looks calm 'n peaceful there. Brown sand with sparkle flakes in it. We bid our shuttle bunny ciao 'n shoved off. I had a water proof camera inside my life saver.

Bout a hunerd yards downriver, we crossed the first drop 'n had ta move back cross the river. I wuz watchin' ahead agin 'n blew out tween two rocks. Crushed the camera 'n the ring Miz Bear give me when I sez "yep, I sho do". The three little pardners likely worried bout a start like that, but Miz Bear wuz gone 'n there aint no eazy way off this river....no houses, highways, ranger stations 'er telephones. They wuz all paddlin' Yahoos 'n after a while wuz half scairt 'n half happy. The Chattooga River iz warm, with a heap a big rocks that look like they mite have seen a few dinosaurs.

They done good on all three waterfalls. I nailed two outta three. I self rescued twice before noon. We come upon a paddlin' clinic group. I paddled over 'n asked what wuz comin' next 'n how ta run it. I wuz mainly interested in Paint Rock. I half recalled the rapids 'n half read the river so they got down ta Paint Rock in good spirits. I don't recall any of them blowin' out, but I got 'em over ta the bank fer a scout 'n showed 'em how boney the rapid wuz at the top 'n how they needed ta git over ta river rite quik az they kin, cuz Paint Rock in the center iz undercut. I tole 'em fer the third 'er fourth time "if ya blow out in the fast movin' stuff, git yer feet up downstream where ya kin see yer toes, do not try ta stand up 'n soon az the river calms down, swim like Tarzan fer an eddy 'er the bank.

I went first 'n showed 'em exactly how ta run it. I caught an eddy where I we all seen each other. Then James give it a try. He missed hiz line, hit the boney rocks 'n rolled out....lost hiz paddle 'n the Yahoo. Dang. Next thing I seen froze my blood. He stood up tween the first drop 'n Paint Rock. Then I seen him grab down at hiz leg 'n disappear inta the foam. Foot entrapment filled up my mind.

I seen myself tellin' Jimmy how James had drowned at Paint Rock, but lo 'n behold here he come bobbin' up 'n down (tryin' ta rub hiz ankle). I went at work gatherin' up the paddle 'n Yahoo, after I tole James ta git ta the bank jest below Paint Rock. I had ta work my way back up ta my spy eddy.

My daughter 'n her Faulkner scholar wuz up on the bank lookin' at the whole thing. I seen her walk away. I figgered they would both haul their Yahoos up in the rocks 'n climb round the rapid. Wrong. Next thing I seen my daughter with a determined look on her face, drop over the first ledge, then over she went. She wuz farther ta river left than James, but she didnt try ta stand up. That wuz good. The bad part wuz she wuz headed rite fer Paint Rock 'n the undercut. Ta my horror she went under rite in front of Paint Rock. Time went real slow fer a while.....seemed like 3-4 minutes, but it wuz likely 10 seconds til she popped up behind Paint Rock.

I went ta work roundin' up her Yahoo 'n paddle....after I showed her where ta take herself out....then I paddled back up in the rapid to make sho her boyfriend toted hiz boat around....my nerves wuz shot. He wuz lookin' at me. I held up my paddle in both hands. Handsignal fer "stop". He walked away ta git hiz Yahoo. I breathed a sigh, but next thing I see iz him headin' fer the top ledge. He run it perfect, jest like me. Later he sez he figgered the hand signal meant "come ahead".

We spent a heap a time on the trip downriver with me blowin' out twice, paddlin' slow tryin' ta read the river 'n stoppin' fer directions when we come upon other paddlers. That wore us out. It wore me out a bit more than the 20 somethings. There wuz a good deal more water 'n rapids (some with names), but when we got ta Bull Sluice, we pulled over, took a look 'n toted all the boats up in the rocks around it.

I wuz mitey glad the other leader tole hiz college kids "no sir, ya'll caint go on a trip with that group" cuz I didnt need 4-5 more kids who had never done any serius whitewater paddlin'. I didnt need ta see any more little pardners blow out in Paint Rock. In fact, it wont hurt me none if I dont ever see nobody blow out there agin.

So now ya'll see why I got the hebejebees when Jimmy W tole us bout stickin' hiz Blue Hole OCA there.

regards
bearridge

It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat. Theodore Roosevelt

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
These big downed trees are what gives me the wiley's here BR Bear. Ive seen canoes get caught up in them and pulled down not to come back up. Most of the time the water picks up speed as it flows around and under them creating almost a suction dragging what ever with it or sticking it wedged between. Best bet is to stay clear of them even if that means getting your feet wet.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Trees like that, Ozarkicus Paddlicus, are called strainers up here. The water runs through them like a strainer. And you're absolutely right. One of the most dangerous things on our rivers. And, they look so bloody benign!

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
The day that I got my boat trapped, the river level was only about 6 inches. My friend Keith and I had the river to ourselves because everyone else thought that it was too low. We decided to go anyway even if we had to drag the boats some. My friend was paddling a Perception Dancer kayak. The rocks that the canoe wedged between, I had gone between before, but that day the water was just too low. When I stepped out of the boat, I just thought that I would pull it through and dump out the water. But then the current pushed it through and under the rock on the South Carolina shore. It wasn't under the big rock in the middle. I had a lot of floatation in the boat, but that didn't stop it from submerging. The scariest part of the experience was trying to get ahold of the rope attached to the end of the boat and after that thinking that we might not be able to get it out at all.

Photo: Me about 20 years ago running Second Ledge (I think).

chattoga2.jpg

Another, This is the line that I wanted to run, Just waiting for the front to drop into the chute.

chattoga3.jpg

Bull Sluice and Decapitation Rock. Without anything to show scale it doesn't look like much. This was at a level of about 3 feet. I never ran it anywhere near that level.

chattoga10.jpg

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Nice picture Jimmie. I really like that first one if it were me I would have that one enlarged and framed. It would be hanging in the living room for all to see. Kinda looks like a bronc rider in mid stride. I guess we now know what the W stands for at the end of your signature JIMMIE WHITEWATER.
Paul