Paint decision | SouthernPaddler.com

Paint decision

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
Thought I would start a new thread cause we were getting a little side tracked on the Graphite (my fault).

My search for the "Gelcoat Finish" has ended probably far short of what I want, Think I would go for the Interlux filling primer and one part bright side piant if the budget would allow.

I wrote to Krylon asking about the use of their Fusion paint on fiberglass epoxy for a boat. They told me it was not recommended for immersion, then I wrote them back and complained about too many Lawyers in this country......yada .....yada....

I did get a response from him back today after my telling him it was a dry dock boat. He said
KRYLON
"If you are willing to test our Fusion Paint, I would try this-we just cannot guarantee long-term performance with our paints immersed in water. Make sure to clean the surface with an ammonia-based cleaner, like Windex. For added protection, I would use our Fusion Clear, #2444. This will have a gloss finish. Make sure our fusion Paint cures for 7 days in low humidity and temps of at least 50 degrees F."

Sorry I had already got a response from Rustoleum and bought it this weekend. Here is what they said in their first response I waited over a week for.
RUSTOLEUM
"I would recommend using our Stops Rust Protective Enamel. This is the product best suited for fiberglass. Gloss white is item # 7792. Priming is always recommended for additional durability and adhesion. I would recommend our Clean Metal Primer item # 7780."

So, I went with this combo and opened up another can of worms when I found Krylon X-Metal red. Looks like anodized metal. Very shinny red. Kind of a light candy apple. It has it's own set of problems but I think it will look good for this "race" boat. Needs a special pre coat conditioner to make it look right.

I am grateful for the advice about the Interlux just don't know if I can spend it right now with all the other expenses I am looking for related to this race. Hope I don't regret it.

Tom (waiting for high enough temp to paint in Missouri)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
mosportsmen said:
Thought I would start a new thread cause we were getting a little side tracked on the Graphite (my fault).

My search for the "Gelcoat Finish" has ended probably far short of what I want, Think I would go for the Interlux filling primer and one part bright side piant if the budget would allow.

The interlux requires a little more work but the end result is worth ever minute of it.

The primer , which is a chalk base filler for the cracks and depressions , then the excess needs to be sanded off to your satisfaction. That is what makes it nice and smooth. It is what makes the base coat for the final application of the paint. The paint will soak into it and after three coats you will have a very slick and smooth bottom ......"O"ooop's , not you the boat.

It does cost more but the results are really worth it........ I have used the canoe with it on over rocks that I was sure were going to wreck the bottom of my canoe...... It was never damaged....Just some light scuff marks.

The kayak I gave the youngest daughter has the same on the bottom and she is paddling it in Canada and dragging it up on the rocky shore after I had it down here 9 years....... It is still as good as new.

July 2010 when she and Neil left my place with the two boats , the kayak and the stripper pirogue. The Pirogue was the 1st one made with strips of redwood or what is called a strip and stitch boat. Actually the 1st stripper Uncle John Pirogue. :D ( I had to try it since no one had done it ) :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7884

kidsboats%20003.jpg

Then when they got home....... Out on the water. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7975

:D :D :D ( Notice the little southernpaddler decal on the bow.)
4849470384_f91935bb24.jpg

Follow the instructions and make sure it is cured before using the boat , the chemicals in it need to be set to offer the best protection. Plus when using it make sure you have plenty of ventilation , it does have a bad aroma when working with it.

The final result is really worth it if a person is willing to spent the money for it.

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
It does look nice. This weather stays too cool too long and I might go for it.....it is only money, still got the receipt for the spray cans I bought.

Got a little practice race the 19th so I can't get it done before that anyway, want to train in it and don't want to keep it out of the water for a full 7 days.

I definitely think that filling primer would save me a lot of sanding between where i want it and where it is now.

Tom

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
mosportsmen said:
I definitely think that filling primer would save me a lot of sanding between where i want it and where it is now.

Tom

The primer will have you sanding , sanding a lot , but not hard sanding. It is basically shaping and removing the excess from any high spots to make them even with the depressions and low areas in the hull , if there are any.
You will get a lot of fine white powder on you , sort of like talcum powder. It is what gives the final shape and makes it so darn smooth when the paint is applied. :D

Chuck........

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
Least it won't be like grinding epoxy. I just started using the squeegee on this last project, gives a pretty good smoothness but it is far from the slick I am looking for.

Probably going to give it one more round of sanding, epoxy , sanding before painting. I need a new, sharp, soft squeegee I think before the next coat.

I tried to give the edge of the squeegee a sharpening/smoothing last round but I just did not get all the nicks out of the edge, maybe I will try finer sand paper on it next time.

Tom