paddle rings | SouthernPaddler.com

paddle rings

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
got a question been thinking about gettng me a kayak paddle . i know they have the rubber rings on them do they keep most of the water off you and out of your boat while paddling. i see alot of you guys have them on here. i know in alot of tight places sometimes where i paddle they would be a hindrance but on long open stretches i can see where i could pick up some time and speed. unless your an exspert like k jack from way back and dont do the j stroke like me very well you gona get some water in your boat with a regular paddle.

go ahead jack i can take our answer too. :lol:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I don't have thirty years of experience - but I do have one year about thirty times.
If side clearance with a kayak paddle seems "tight" to you, you must be paddling through tunnels. I'd have to see where you paddle to figure it out. (I can travel to do that.) I use a kayak paddle of 220cm length (82"-83"). It works for me, but personal choice takes precedence.
Drip rings catch some water, and route the rest onto my knees.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Catfish, a few drips is the only drawback I've found with the double paddle. I've paddled in two foot waves and grass choked and tree studded swamps with 6" of water, and haven't found the double paddle to be lacking. In most boats, one stroke per side keeps you going straight with no fanfare. Solid power strokes with no momentum killing corrections. If you think about it, a J stroke is akin to paddling backwards ...........not good for forward motion, eh?

Joey

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I added a wooden dowel in my elcheapo paddle. OH length is now 96" if I recall correctly. My boats' beams are around 36". The extra length reaches the water easier and keeps the water outside the boat. I also carry a single paddle. Use it to push off trees or stumps. The double works great for fishing. Lays across the boat until needed, and can even be used with one hand for slight adjustments.

beekeeper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I drilled some 1/2" holes up through the coaming around the cockpit of my kayak, and threaded rope along through it. I can lay the paddle across the coaming in between ropes, and it will roll forward and back until it hits a rope, and usually stops. A simple paddle tether from the paddle to boat or paddle to your wrist will keep it under control too. But, in rough water, a tether could be entrapping.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
folks tend to gravitate to whatever paddling style suits them

i paddle mostly on the same side but, instead of the j stroke, i rotate the paddle +/- 90 degrees briefly at the end of most strokes. The blade of the paddle acts like a rudder for any directional correction.

i also try to keep my paddle near vertical and keep a straight stroke. Any angle less than vertical results in a sweeping stroke and a stroke following the side of the boat tends to turn the boat

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
You could use a kayak paddle for the open water and when in the bushes , weeds and other stuff then the canoe paddle. That is having the best of both worlds when paddling. Plus if you drop the kayak paddle you have another one to use to retrieve it. I never go paddling without at lease two paddles and most of the time I have three with me.

The drip rings are nothing more then a round rubber piece that stops the water from running down the shaft. The idea is great but it lets most of the water drip in your lap or on your legs. :wink:

Or use a break apart kayak paddle and when in a tight spot take it apart and use it as a single paddle.
As far as losing the paddle get a paddle tether for it. One end of the tether fits around the kayak paddle and the other end is fasten to the boat so if you let go and it goes over the side it can be retrieved.

Doing a J Stroke with a canoe paddle a person can just paddle on the one side of the boat and not get get a drop of water in the boat.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
thanks guys for info. jack sounds like mr bee does some of my kind of paddling in tight places too? yea i was sorta thinking of having both paddles single blade to paddle in tight places or to push off sand bars or mud. some times its shallow also where i paddle. i havent done the okee yet but i guess a single blade would come in handy to push along when the water level is low? then when i was out in more open places or if i needed to make up some time i could use the kayak paddle.

from what you guys say seems like you may still get alittle bit of water in the boat with the kayak paddle too? most of the times i carry a sponge and bailor .and when going on long trips or camping i have the waterproof bags so i guess a little bit aint no problem anyway.

going to bass pro today may pick me up one?

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Drips on the legs, or in the boat in the summer time = no problem. In the winter we wear rain paints, and sponge the floor. My longer paddle keeps the drips out side the boat, and suits my high seating, and wide boat better. Lots of talk about proper length, but most comes from what works for narrow kayaks, or pirogues, using a low seating position. I am a novice paddler, so other folks may know better. I'm just saying what works for me.

beekeeper

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
First let me say I have seen Chuck handle a canoe with a single blade he smooth as silk and you can tell very experienced. I have used singles and doubles and my preference is the kayak paddle.
Like Seed says the more vertical and closes to the boat you can run your paddle the better. performance and tracking of your boat.
too long a double paddle will tire your shoulders and arms fast and make your boat swing more on each stroke. I started with a 240 cm paddle and I am down to a 220 and thinking in all my boats but one that the 210 might be better yet.
Ron

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
I've been making my paddles this shape recently,

The benifit no drip ring required, water follows edge of blade to pointed tip then runs off outside the boat, plus the hooked shape can be useful for grabing structure ie branches , roots, another boat ect.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
makenmend that is a neat idea on the hook shape.

Why are kayak paddle lengths stated in centimeters? Does that make them paddle better, or just makes them sound special?

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Kayak Jack said:
I think they sell their paddles world wide, so a metric system sounds sexier.
The hook on the paddle will stop drips; have you paddled in any weeds with those? May hook up on seaweed.

Forgot about that "world wide" issue. More like most of the paddles are made in some other part of the world and sold here.

Jack it is a drip hook. :roll: The weeds will drip off it. :wink:

beekeeper

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
thanks jack and ron i went to bass pro thursday. they had some double paddles but i didn,t really like them. there is a new store nearby i want to check out too. they have alot of paddles. just didn,t want to rush and get one i didn,t like. :( i have a carlisle single blade that i got at bass pro but havent seen another 1 since. guess i can look on line?i really like it its real light weight good paddling paddle . you can tell the difference between it and a regular wood paddle from like wally world if you paddle it all day.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Kayak Jack said:
catfish said:
<SNIP> going to bass pro today may pick me up one?
Take a look here for reference - and maybe to select a very nice paddle for yourself (as a gift from your wife). http://www.wernerpaddles.com/fit_guide/

I did the fit guide and it is probably a very good for kayak paddlers. Adapting the double paddle to other designs may render the guide not so accurate. It did not conside the higher seating height, nor the height of the overall beam width. My pirogue's 36" beam is 10.5" high. The last skiff I built has a 42" beam but the beam is only about 7" high. Most kayaks and narrow pirgoues are less. The pirogues seat is 5" to 10.5" high. The skiff seat is 7' to 15". Most kayak's, and narrow pirogue's have seats much lower.
I stated befor, I am a novice paddler, but my experance with my stretched paddle indicates to me, for people with wider boats and higher seating a longer double paddle is worth considering. At least in the winter. It is much dryer.

beekeeper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
We paddlers often overlook the critical role played by (what else?) the paddle. We fuss over boats, shirts, stoves, tents, etc. then get an inexpensive and not-fully-developed paddle. I first bought an aluminum shaft plastic bladed kayak paddle. While OK for fleeing an advancing enemy, or some other such emergency action, it didn't fare well in camping situations. I got a lighter, carbon fiber paddle. After using the heck out of it over a few years, I got a lighter one ( a half pound lighter!) and am pleased. So far, Werner paddles have proven extremely satisfying for my uses.
You may not always have to pay more to get a good item, but it sure seems to follow that pattern in paddles. I guess you can get a cheaper paddle and pat yourself on the back once when you buy it, and kick yourself in the rear every time you use it. Or, pay the price for a really good, lightweight paddle, and kick yourself in the rear once when you buy it, and pat your self on the back and smile every time you use it. Seems that way to me, anyway.