Opinions needed | SouthernPaddler.com

Opinions needed

islandpiper

As opinions are free to give, I figure I'll get a few here.....

My old Dennis Davis design 'yak is hanging out in the shed, nice and dry.......

Now, i built that in Pre-epoxy days, so it was taped on the outside seams with 4" glass tape and polyester resin and then brushed with polyester on all surfaces.....then painted, except the deck, which was varnished.

What I'd like to do now is remove the paint, cover the whole hull with light weight glass cloth and, of course, epoxy and varnish.

Here is the opinion part: will i have any trouble bonding the epoxy and glass to the freshly sanded old polyester? I'm guessing no, but there may be some way to ensure that result.

What weight cloth do you think will be best, keeping in mind that the hull is 5 mm luan and the seams are well taped.

As you might expect, if any of you all want to drop by and do the messy part for me that will be fine. I'll leave the pack of sandpaper out for you!! heh heh heh

Cheers, Piper

Wimperdink

Feb 21, 2007
East TN in the Smokies
I'm by no means an expert like many of these folks here but the way I understand it is... Epoxy will stick to polyester just fine but polyester does not stick to epoxy. You would be fine with a 4oz. cloth and epoxy in my opinion

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Piper-san, I'd advise using butter and paper towels. Oughta keep you afloat until you get out into deep water. Then - ker-PLUNCK!

"Yeah! Yeah! That's the ticket!" - attendant at the Institute for the Very Very Nervous

JEM

Sand it up with 100 grit to scuff the surface up good (after you remove all the paint and stuff you want gone). Then glassing with epoxy and 4 ounce cloth should serve you well.

Careful about sanding away the current fiberglass tape on the seams.