okee | SouthernPaddler.com

okee

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Chuck since some of you geezers have paddled the okee and I haven,t , I was just wandering what the fires will do to the canoe trails.

I don,t know how far it is or how far the fire will get into swamp.

I know they say the fire is a good thing sometimes in the swamp for mother nature. My questions is what about all the dead blow downs & trees they may fall in the trails . What effect will this have on them.

Do the park service clean them out or police this from time to time . Or do you have to clean your on way out. It takes along time for things to rot.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Fire is a natural thing in the woods that Mother Nature is maintain for us. Sometimes it is a bad thing ( Anyway we think that ) when it is actually a good thing and just part of the life cycle of regeneration.

We are not as smart as Mother Nature , she has a few more years on this planet then we have been here and what she wants to do is for a reason. We might not agree with her but she is the smarter one.

Any blow downs or burning will help the swamp in the long run , it is her way of clearing the dead out of the way and creating new life. There are several varieties of plant life that will not germinate till a fire wakes them up.
To answer your question..... She knows a lot more then we do and we might not like it but what she does will make everything better. Her work has lasted for millions of years , all we do is screw it up but then she tells us who is the boss.

Yes Sir.... It is the two legged , upright walking , Homo Sapians (Hairless Apes , Mankind ) that wrecks things. I guess that is why SAP is in Sapians.

Speaking of them , I am sure one or more of them will clean out the canoe trails when it is all over with , if they don't then they will lose a lot of revenue from the paddling and camping community. This is something they would not want to lose. Ya Know campers and paddlers $$$$$$$$

Chuck.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Yea chuck I know around here people & the paper companies used to control burn. They don,t do it anymore. Thats what the problem is too much fuel . You have a foot or two of pine straw & debris.

Same out west , they are finding this is why they have so many bad fires they can,t control. They are trying to reintraduce alot of control burns.

I guess mother nature does heal. :D If only it could heal from parking lots & houses. :(