new to the site | SouthernPaddler.com

new to the site

ald

Jul 10, 2010
Great site, just wanted to say hi. I am a avid canoer in GA just got to use my new bending branches sunburst 14 on the etowah river, 31 miles in one day. Great paddle if your in the market for a new one. I also like how others here use the hammocks for camping. I use the ENO onelink works great on south ga sandbars.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack...

It is from Eagle Nest Outfitters or ENO. It is an really upscaled , upgrade , of the single nest one they make that I used on the one St.Mary's River run a few years ago and before I got the Clark Tropical to use.

Here is the link to them at Campmor.
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40605

ALD will have to give us a report on the comfort of the hammock. :D 31 miles in one day , that would take me two weeks at the speed I camp and paddle.

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
Jack, Jack, Pay no attention to the young man. Didn't you see the 31 miles in one day ?. The man is obvisouly into that S & M stuff. :roll:

I'll even make a bet that that ENO thing has straps and ropes [if ya get my drift]

Can,t be as comfortable as my Clarke. Of course after paddeling for 31 miles in one day comfort most likely dose't matter since you are about dead and just need something to fall into. :mrgreen:

My guess is that ALD is able to fit a full weeks paddling vacation into one day. :wink:

Just not geezer style.

I am sure however after hanging around here for a while, we will be able to break him away from the need for speed. :lol:

Welcome aboard ALD.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Thanks, Baldy. And, I've found that not only does a long distance day - say, twenty miles - help a hammock or tent be more comfortable, a bit of single malt aids too. On the Manistee a few weeks ago, we did longer days than we normally do on the Au Sable - stronger current.

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
Hello Ald. Same question as about the Oconee. What part of the Etowah did you canoe? I live about a mile from the Etowah and have canoed some of it. Did you go through the tunnel?

ald

Jul 10, 2010
Thanks for the welcome . As some one cleared up the ENO is a hammock, yes with those strap things, and not up to the scale of the clark. THe 31 miles is a good trip on the etowah we put in at euharlee rd just before the GA power plant and take out in Downtown Rome. This is a yearly 4th of july paddle but most of our camping trips are on slow south ga rivers but since I am in rome the Etowah is a great day trip. Our goal is to do 50 miles in one day from I-75 in cartersville to lock and dam park west of Rome ending on the coosa river.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
ald said:
Thanks for the welcome . As some one cleared up the ENO is a hammock

:lol: That was me but I was waiting to see how well you liked it..... I do enjoy the ( Plain old , backyard type ) single nest with a rain fly , quick to set up and darn comfortable in/for cool weather camping when the bugs are not out there. Not the upgraded one you have.
Bug time as in the HOT weather , the one Clark for me , skeeter proof.

Always looking for a report on a hammock and what the person thinks of it , who knows we might have more converts over to hammock camping. Someone on here could be looking for the very one you used.

Chuck.......

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
I live just east of Canton. I've never been on that part of the Etowah, but have crossed over it in that area. It looks like it would be a nice trip.
Jimmy

ald

Jul 10, 2010
Chuck,
As far as a report on the hammock. I have the onelink double nest kit includes the hammock, straps, rain fly and bug net ( like your single just wider, same lenght) is it set up with the bug guardian net to keep the bugs out and a rain fly above both . This is my first hammock so I do not have anything to compare it to but it worked well. I do think the "DRY FLY" would have not kept out all the water if a heavy storm came thorugh but we did not have to worry about that on this trip, no rain. But overall comfortable. The ENO straps strech so those may have to changed out. So Hammock good, Bug net Great Rain fly could use some help and ENO Straps quick set up but have to allow some extra height or you may end up on the dirt.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Stock rain flys that come with hammocks are best described as "inadequate". I junked mine and spread a 10'X12' or 10' X 14' rain fly cross ways, off center so it's short on one side and long on the other. The extra length hangs out to the side and provides a covered area for sitting and telling of true tales.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I found the ENO hammock to be really comfortable but have not mastered that bug net for it. That's the one reason I like it for cooler weather camping.
I hung it and then put up a rain fly , at night I put my chair under it and have all my stuff in the chair. If I wanted anything during the night , just reach out and get it , the beauty of an open hammock.
They might of changed the straps since I did not find mine stretching that much. As Jack said most standard rain flys have a lot to be desired and need improving to some degree , either upgraded or replaced. One reason to use a tarp which gives you a lot more room to sit or sleep under in a rain. Or during a sunny day for extra shade when staying over in camp for a couple of days.

:lol: One person I have camped with has a Hennessey Hammock and when he hangs it is with the rain fly attached but the whole thing is hung under a 20 x 20 tarp. There is a lot of gathering space under that tarp which a lot of us used. It was on one trip when it came up a real downpour during the day and turned COLD.
I did find out why the rain fly was on the hammock , there were a few pin holes in the tarp. :wink:

One trick I learned from him is when the tarp is hung and you don't want it flapping in the wind is to hang some one gallon water jugs from some of the grommets with a line attached to a short bungee cord attached to the water jugs. The jugs sit on the ground and when a gust of wind hits it the bungee cords stretch holding the tarp in place.
A strong wind will pick up a jug but with the bungee cord on there it does not slap around like a tarp without them. The jugs don't need to be full , about half full does the trick.

Chuck.