New to the forum and need help | SouthernPaddler.com

New to the forum and need help

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
I have been making some wooden paddles until I get the room to build a canoe and need some advice. I have just completed a kayak paddle and need to finish it. While I have used resin on a few paddles and glassed a couple of blades on others I don't want to glass this one but would like to strengthen it with epoxy or resin.

Which would be better? Should I seal the wood first or apply the epoxy/resin so it absorbs into the wood?

I plan on several coats and then top it off with several coats of spar varnish. I used red cedar for the blades and a combo of cedar and poplar for the handle. I know that cedar is pretty soft but it is readily available and the paddle will be for light use only (wife's paddle). Any advice is greatly appreciated.....

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Franke, and welcome aboard mate.!! :D

I don't know much about paddle making but I would recommend that you apply several coats of epoxy all over the paddle BEFORE you put anything else on. The epoxy will soak into your cedar and really strengthen and harden it as well as waterproof it. :D :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I found that saturating the paddle with some epoxy does not add a lot of weight but sure protects the paddle from the weather and water. Don't forget a good coat of varnish when done.

From what I have found out , epoxy saturating the wood will increase the strength of it up to four times , depending on how well it is saturated.

Chuck.

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
Thanks for the advice

Really appreciate the advice and will try and post some pics when I finish coating the paddle. Put on the first coat today and will sand it tomorrow. Haven't used the West epoxy, pretty pricey, hope it worth the investment.

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
Picture of new paddle

Hope I do this right, it should be a picture of an unfinished kayak paddle I am making for my wife.

Flamingo%20Kayak%20Paddle.jpg

IMG_2294.jpg

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Re: Finished product

buckisland1950 said:
This is the finished paddle and the wife is quite happy. She says she doesn't have to paddle good but wants to look good doing it....

kayak%20paddle%20crop_1.jpg

It's easy to look good when paddling---she just needs to avoid paddling anywhere near any of us geezers. :oops: