New Tent.......... | SouthernPaddler.com

New Tent..........

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Things have a way of making a person change there thoughts to a slight degree.

I said I gave up tent camping but some of the guys are planning a trip that requires a person to have a tent in case there is no place to set up a hammock. Such as a sandy beach or island without anywhere to hang a hammock such as trees that are to small or to few to hold one up.

So as a fail safe program to have a place to sleep out of the weather and as a back up in case I can't hang a hammock I placed an order for a inexpensive tent to use. Call it my insurance program in case the hammock can't be used.

1..My priories were for a free standing one , the ones I have are not free standing. ( That tornado on the Brazos wrecked my free standing one and the kids took it's replacement home [ Canada ] with them. )
2..It has to have some height to it and be large enough to have myself in it along with my gear without being over sized.
3..Plenty of ventilation and rain protection over the door and windows so they can be partially open in inclement weather.
4..Preferably large doors so a person can actually walk into it and not have to crawl to enter it.
5..Best of all not really expensive but a good tent.
6..Easy to set up and take down. ( not needing two people to erect it )

Remembering some of the tents the guys have on the trips I started looking around. Joe found one similar to it at a Wall Mart a few years ago for $50.00 and it has held up to some nasty weather on the trips , same with Harry and Ray and the one they always have with them for as long as I have known them.

Well I located one and after doing some digging around on the web to locate the best deal I placed an order for it. :D
Cabelas had it and by using some of my points as a club member I managed to get the tent , floor saver and postage with it costing me $ 17.09. It's here waiting for the trip. :D

Click on this ...............
http://tinyurl.com/26wh7pq

It's the Trekker™ Classic Dome Tents which is 7 x 7 with a height of 52 inches. Weighs 7 lb 10 oz and has it's own carrying case. The carrying case is 7 x7 x 25 and will hold the tent , floor saver and spare tent pegs with some room to spare. Zipper enclosed with a carrying handle. It even has a info sheet sewed into the inside of it on how to put the tent up and take it down ( which is a simple process ) , with a toll free number for any replacement parts , if needed.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
a Bald Cypress said:
First, you're working to reduce the amount of gear. :| Now you are adding to it. :?

Make up your mind !.

Using motorized boats for the trip , can take everything including the kitchen sink on this trip. Different trips call for different things but there is no way in He!! I want to be there and not have something to sleep in. I might even splurge and pack an extra set of underwear , including socks , clean ones without any holes in them since weight is not a problem. :p

Actually all I am adding to the normal stuff is the tent as a back up place to sleep if the trees are missing. I'm pretty sure the critters , bugs and rain will be there at sometime if not all the time.

Heck we are even using trucks to get there and nothing handles worse then an empty truck , with any luck we might get two tons in a one ton truck. If we can't then like Tom T. Hall would say ... Breaker , Breaker , Good buddy , Mercy sakes alive, looks like we got a convoy. :wink:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
a Bald Cypress said:
Tis my belief that that song was done by C W McCall.

Not Mr. Hall

You are correct.........Just checking to see if you are awake. :lol:
"Convoy" is a 1975 novelty song performed by C. W. McCall (pseudonym of Bill Fries) that became a number-one song on both the country and pop charts in the USA. The song spent six weeks at number one on the country charts [1] and one week at number one on the pop charts. The song went to number one in Canada as well, hitting the top of the RPM Top Singles Chart on January 24, 1976.[2] "Convoy" further peaked at number two in the UK. The song's success helped start a fad for citizens band (CB) radio. The song was the inspiration for the 1978 Sam Peckinpah film Convoy.