New Pirogue! | SouthernPaddler.com

New Pirogue!

Sep 1, 2014
Hello all! I am new here but been lurking for quite awhile. I had been planningfor weeks to build a pirogue and actually bought the materials when I was home from offshore last week. BUT...before I could get it built my wife WON me one in a raffle. It is stitch and glue made by a fellow named Doc Patterson. I only was able to get it int he water once before coming back to work but it paddles like a dream! I still plan on building my own because...well because I want to! I was try9ing to post a pic of it but not sure what I am doing...

Sep 1, 2014
Well, gonna kind of wing it but using the basic design I have seen on some others. Around 14', 12" side with 3" or so curve to sides to flatten the rocker some, ~24" bottom flared to ~32". Chine logs and bottom ribs. Probably just gonna just use nail and glue at joints and keep it painted.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Unless, of course, your truck is sporting one of those bumper stickers that reads,
"Paddles, They aren't just for the bedroom any more!"

Not that I'd be caught dead with one of those on my truck! :shock:
'Cause, Dead is exactly how I'd be caught!. . . :lol:

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
oldsparkey said:
She is from New Jersey. :roll:
Someone in the family has to be intelligent.

Thank's Jack , that is what I tell her all the time , the best thing she ever did was to marry me.
I can't help it if she was from New Jersey but she is coming around to the southern ways. Heck this coming March it will be 50 years for us.

Chuck..........

doc

Jul 14, 2011
Mississippi
Hey Slim, Doc Patterson here. Was Binging my way across cyber space when this thread washed up in the surf. I'm the guy that made your pirogue. I'm happy you've enjoyed it and hope you've had the chance to build your own. I agreed to build/donate a boat for the 1st Piney Woods Picnic as a result of a conversation I had with our mutual friend Cary Hudson. I'm playing a gig at Fenians in Jackson MS tonight and then will be leaving immediately for a weekend paddle on a "secret" river in a not-so-far-away land. Capo up and paddle on!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Doc........
You said.......
I agreed to build/donate a boat for the 1st Piney Woods Picnic as a result of a conversation I had with our mutual friend Cary Hudson.

We are using Pirogues the way they were meant to be ...SHARED. :D
To make a long story short.
My neighbor ( a younger guy ) has been fighting Cancer with chemo and eventually surgery. He has been under the weather for a long time and finally lost one lung but he is a survivor and today is cured. Heck he is even getting his hair back.
Anyway he asked the doc about fishing which he enjoys and the doc said it would be good for him , he had one major problem . No Boat. He wants to fish the small lakes around here and the Econ River.

He asked me if I could make one for him the would be good for the small lakes and the river. I told him I already have one made he can have if he wanted it. Today he has a Pirogue and paddles to use and it is the same one I paddled across the Okefenokee Swamp for a 5 days camping trip a few years ago. A nice full size one at 32 pounds and is in like new condition. I keep all my boats under a cover and out of the weather.

Chuck.............

doc

Jul 14, 2011
Mississippi
Beautiful story. I gave a boat that I had just finished reconditioning (for no apparent reason) to a guy who was separated from his wife (and consequently from his kids). I told him to take his boy paddling/fishing. That little plywood boat assisted in reuniting that family. No apparent reason???!!!

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
Slim,
You might take a look at my recent post in the general section under posting pictures. Postitimage works great for me. Looks like you hit the Jack pot on both boats and women! Go for it ---build your own.

Good Fish'n

Andy