New Kayak | SouthernPaddler.com

New Kayak

Cracka

Dec 3, 2006
New South Wales, Australia
G'day all,

I'm currently in the market for a kayak to use for fishing and a bit of exercise.

I'm looking at the Clearwater Designs, Iqaluit 11ft 8 and Inuvik 13 ft. Any thoughts on these kayaks if anybody has had any experience with them.

Hairymick, you might be able to help with this one the Australis Saratoga, any ideas on it for my purpose.

I chose these kyaks as I can get thses locally and are currently in stock so I can at least go for a test paddle. They also have the Azul Australis kayak I think it's about 9.5 to 10ft long

I thought the 2 Clearwater kayaks wouldn't be too bad with their cockpit sizes 51 in x 18 in for fishing. See that, I even put the measurements in imperial for you guys. ..........

No, the catalogue I have is in imperial and I'm too tired at the moment to convert, been working in the yard all day. And they tell me holidays are for relaxing!!!

I'm also open to any suggestions if there are any.

Thanks

Mick.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Mick,

Australis build superb boats that hold their resale value very well. The Saratoga, is a touring kayak and while it is possible to fish from one, I don't think it would be very practical. Australis have pretty much ignored the boom in kayak fishing in this country and I think it will end up costing them dearly.

I don't know anything about the quality of the Clearwater Boats but both models you mentioned look very good to me with their big cockpits etc.. My choice would be the 13 footer, or even the 16 footer with their greater hull speed and carrying capacity.

If ya just want to slip one in for an hour or so before or after work, the little feller would probably be the go. God luck in your hunt mate. you will never regret it.

Cracka

Dec 3, 2006
Mick,

That was the only problem I could forsee with the Saratoga was the cockpit size. One of the guys from work's father paddles and fishes from one and is pretty happy with it.

I saw the Wilderness Systems Pungo and Palmico models, they look pretty good as well although I have only seen them on the web and there are none around my area, the nearest sellers are in Melbourne.

I'm off to Canberra tomorow, theres a couple of shops there I'm going to check out, I'll keep you posted.

Thanks mate.

Mick

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Matt (JEM WATERCRAFT) just sent me a e-mail saying that the FREE PLANS will be available for this boat real soon (FREEDOM 13).
The free plans are for the shorter model , 13 feet. :D

Here are the shetches (I copyed them from Matts web site http://www.jemwatercraft.com ) for the Freedom 13 ,free plans section.
PP-400.JPG

You like the looks of the Pungo or Palmico and are thinking about making a kayak later down the road ...... .... here is the Freedom at 15 1/2 feet and 40 pounds ( I used 1/8th inch plywood) that cost me about $300.00 (US) to make it...

freedom%20101.jpg

The best description I can give you about the Freedom is that she's a happy combination of a pirogue and a kayak , you could call her a decked over hybrid pirogue.
The inside (open area) of the cockpit is 20 inches across and 40 inches long.
For more information http://www.neilbank.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2909
Chuck........

Cracka

Dec 3, 2006
Oldsparkey, that freedom definately looks nice, you have built a nice boat there, and at only $300 that's awesome. There's just so many nice boats to choose from it will be a difficult choice for a first build.

Anyhow, I'll have a bit of time to think about it now as while I was in Canberra over the past couple of days I bought myself a Wilderness Systems Pungo 120. I was tossing up between the Palmico and the Pungo, I went the Pungo even though it was more expensive as the seat was a bit more comfy and it had a rear dry storage area whereas the Palmico has no bulkhead.

The only factor I didn't consider and maybe I should have, is that the Palmico supposedly can be used in class 1, 2 whitewater whereas the Pungo is just flatwater. I don't actually understand the reason why, apart from the more maneuverable hull of the Palmico

I just came back from a good paddle down the lake, it is a beauty to paddle. I was impressed at just how stable it is, especially as me being a newby to paddling. It paddles as straight as an arrow, now all I need to do is work out some locations for a paddle and fishing rod holder. I think I'll go for an adjustable rod mount up near the front deck, but I might have a fish out of it a few times before I start drilling holes and so on.

Mick.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Mick

Good on ya mate. I have never seen a Pungo but they look nice on the wilderness systems site. I am sure she will do the job nicely for you.

Have a good Christmas mate and look out for the lunatic stink boaters :D