New Guy | SouthernPaddler.com

New Guy

Oldnslow

Apr 27, 2011
As a first post I would like to say hello to everyone. I would also like to say that this is one great forum. I've learned more here in the last couple of days just reading the posts, than all the other boat building sites combined. You folks have really put together a great place for builders to find answers. However, I do have two questions that I could not find answers for. The first is, at what point do I need to stain the wood? Stain the sheets before I begin construction, stain it after all wood working is done. I concerned about a stray swipe of glue or resin that won't stain, if I put off staining to the last. The second question is, if I would use a wheat flour for the fillets, what would be the closest stain color match for the color of flour and resin? Or should I just do a sample and have stain mixed to match it? Once again, you folks have a really nice sight that is worth it's weight in gold.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Oldnslow said:
The first is, at what point do I need to stain the wood? Stain the sheets before I begin construction, stain it after all wood working is done. I concerned about a stray swipe of glue or resin that won't stain, if I put off staining to the last. The second question is, if I would use a wheat flour for the fillets, what would be the closest stain color match for the color of flour and resin? Or should I just do a sample and have stain mixed to match it? Once again, you folks have a really nice sight that is worth it's weight in gold.

If you want to stain the wood make sure you use a water based stain and not an oil based one. The oil based will not let the epoxy do it's job. Any form of oil will defeat what you would want the epoxy to do.

Again I would stain the wood before using any form of glue or epoxy since the epoxy or glue seals the wood and you would have those streaks in the wood.

Keep in mind that when you fiberglass the boat the epoxy will darken the wood like a stain would do , so be careful when using the stain unless you want a real dark boat. It might be a good idea to do some test strips with the stain and epoxy before actually staining the wood for the boat so you know how much stain to use and what the final project is going to look like. .

With the flour I would suggest trying some samples with the stain since it would have a different results then the actual wood.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Welcome aboard, Oldnslow. You've already received good advice, so I'll stick to the handshaking and inviting part. We try to help each other out, and at the same time manage to raise some questions where there is not a general agreement, except that each guy has his own particular preferences. All stories on here must be verifiably true. I absolutely hate fibbers and story stretchers. That even includes stories about catching fish or women, too. Over 200 years ago, Cap'n Meriwether taught me to be honest, and I have been ever since.

WDfrmTN

Kayak Jack said:
All stories on here must be verifiably true. I absolutely hate fibbers and story stretchers. That even includes stories about catching fish or women, too. Over 200 years ago, Cap'n Meriwether taught me to be honest, and I have been ever since.
Dang it Jack! I just spit coffee all over another keyboard!