Need Some Advice | SouthernPaddler.com

Need Some Advice

Shacked

Apr 19, 2008
Jacksonville, Florida
I have found a Mad River Quest canoe at a dealers. The canoe is 14.5 feet long, fiberglass, 35 inch beam with ash rails, seats and yoke. The boat does not have a scratch on it, been in the showroom, no sun. The boat is discontinued by Mad River and is twenty years old, the dealer is selling it for $1000.00. Does the age make any difference in the current structure of the boat regarding strength, and should I be more aggressive in haggling. Thanks for any thoughts.

Shacked

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
Mate that boat woulda cost probly less than half that twenty years ago. Of course you should haggle. In fact there is NO reason on Earth not to haggle at every opportunity.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Shacked,

Seems Mad River made a fiberglass/kevlar hybrid Quest fer 3 years back in the late 80's, but in '92 they went ta Royalex. How much does that fiberglass boat weigh? Sounds awful steep ta me. Did ya look on Craigs List? Unlike a pickup, it aint hard ta eyeball a used canoe 'n tell if it iz in good shape.

regards
bearridge

The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn't. Unknown high school student