national geographic | SouthernPaddler.com

national geographic

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Since this is a canoeing forum & & we all like to paddle thought I would ask you geezers this.

Have any of you guys ever read or heard of the book still waters/white waters? It was written by ron fisher & photographed by sam abel. Both worked for n g.

I believe it was copyrighted 1977. My late sister-n-law which passed with cancer gave it to me in 1980. Until I purchased my canoe a year or so ago that is where I the fever. I read it 2 or 3 times.

During there one year afloat they canoed 1600 miles. They went thru several states, carolina,maine,georgia,fla,misouri,indiana,arkansa,colorada,alaska,wyoming.

They went thru several rivers including the sunwanee,okefenokee in ga & the noatack river in alaska.

It is a good book & has alot of good pics& reading.
Dang what a life all exspence paid trip for paddling. :D :lol:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Dang Cat......I don't think I've ever crossed paths with that book! Sounds like a good one. I think I am what I am today because of reading as a kid.
I remember "Paddle to the Sea", and Moby Dick. It's why I like boats and water so dang much. Of course I loved "Treasure Island" and pirates. Which might explain why I'm a member of Southern Paddler! :roll:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Mister Sparkanator,

The Paddlin' Geezer Canoe Clud bylaws dont allow paddlin' 365 days in a row. Article VII. Section 8 (b). I bet those fellas didnt either. I figger they had days when they paddled over 5-6 miles.....up with the crack of day 'n paddlin' hard til near bout sundown. What a waste! :?

We still paddle too fast, but we are slowin' down. :wink:

Our next goal iz ta quit talkin' bout campin' in the same spot more'n one night...............'n do it. :roll:

regards
bearridge

The foolish and wicked practice of profane cursing and swearing is a vice so mean and low that every person of sense and character detests and despises it. George Washington

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Darn Bear , where did you get all the energy , If'n you will remember we did camp in the same spot more then one night (two if I recall it correctly) and still mange to make the 4 miles to the next camping area in those two day's.

I know it was some hard paddling , getting on the river around 10 , taking several sand bar (snack) breaks and still getting off the river just after noon to set up camp and have lunch. If I recall someone said the sun was going to set around 7 so we needed a little time ( 6 hours) to make sure camp and the outhouse was set up and the fire wood was on hand. Plus we had to figure out what we were going to have for supper. Priorities Bear , Priorities.

If anything we will have to slow down and stop all this rushing , paddling long hours an getting in a hurry. Yes Sir , We need to slow down and smell the roses when we are out there.

With any luck we might be able to figure out how to call in to the nearest civilization for some take out. I know that will take a lot of thought but we can master it .....somehow. Especially if Ranger Rick was home and not out running around with his girl friend. I really was looking forward to the large , everything on it , pizza and a cold 6 pack that one night. "O" Well the canned tuna and some crackers and water was quite filling in place of that pizza an cold beer. :evil:

Chuckles