Nantahala River, North Carolina | SouthernPaddler.com

Nantahala River, North Carolina

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Swamprat sent me this. He dropped inta this "top hole" sideways a while back. It spit him 'n hiz boat out.

This young gal wuz on her second trip. [Notice how the long "S" curve before ya git there aint nuthin' ta sneeze at.] She likely wont fergit it. Jon (the fella in the red kayak) made all the rite moves. This iz why ya gotta learn ta grab a eddy. He jest happened along 'n had 2-3 seconds ta come up with a plan. He caught Micro Eddy, then ferried over 'n surfed the top hole til the gal grabbed onta hiz kayak, then he backed out....without turnin' bottom upwards. Some mitey quick thinkin'. Some mitey fine paddlin'. Over the years I got purty good at goin' down ass backwards....but not with a young gal hangin' on. :mrgreen:

This iz 1:01 minutes, so some of ya'll copper wire boys mite git ta see it.

http://vimeo.com/1297603

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
Wow, nice save. That guy made it look like a piece of cake.

Several years back on a mountain bike trip, I talked my friends into renting duckies and doing the Nantahalla. My friends, a couple, had a double. They went first. All I remember is crashing through waves and finding my buddy standing in the water somewhere at the bottom of the falls holding the boat. Some rafters (probably saw us coming a mile away :oops: ) had scooped up his wife and were bringing her to shore. It was a blast :D :D :D

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
The Nanny looks like a different river with that much water in it. My time ta give creekin' a try haz come 'n gone. Costs too much ta see the dentist. :lol: