Naming a Canoe | SouthernPaddler.com

Naming a Canoe

A

Anonymous

AS I was working on my canoe, I was thinking of ,if I should name it, and if I did, What should it be.

Several names would suit a canoe. Gypsy Rose amoung the leaders since it is a Stripper [and hopefully will be a Gypsy in nature. So a double positive.

Then after looking at it for a bit the name Diarreha came to mind. There were so many runs in the 2nd coat of epoxy I put on it was scary.

NOTE: Epoxy is workable at 60 degrees but it is very hard to get a "thin" coat no matter how you apply it.

So after a couple of hours with the R O S today, most of the runs are history and so is the "name"

Back to thinking about it.

Has anyone else "named" their Canoe, Kayak or Pirouge ?

diarreha

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I call mine ....... Swamp Girl ........ then add a # for the one unless the designer has already named it then I just go with that name.

Not to say I don't have a nickname for them ........... The Pygmy Coho ... My Speed boat. The red wood stripper pirogue ....... The Red Stripper.... and so on.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I told my wife that, "I named the canoe after you." All excited, she ran outside. There, in 2" high letters on the side of the boat were the words, "After You".

My kayaks are named "Ruptured Duck". Dad's cousin came back from WWII talking about something that went fast as "Taking off like a ruptured duck!"

The canoe shared by my Granddaughter and me is named after her, the "Katie Bug".

Names I'd avoid are Oestfriesland and Titanic. Edmund Fitzgerald and Atocha may be bad luck too.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I named my Blue Hole OCA "The Big Red SOB". Actually, it kinda named itsownself. :wink:

Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors and miss. Lazarus Long

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
My 8' Mouseboat is PBR 180 after the patrol boats I served on and its hull number on the mouseboat registry. The 12' Cruising Mouse was going to be named U-212 as in Untersee boat after its hull number and a pair of incidents :roll: on the AuSable River trip in 2006. :oops: I later thought better of it and painted the boat haze gray and put the hull number CM-212 near the bow in white with black shadowing just like they do in the canoe club I was in for few years.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
My canoe that I still have is named the "Katie Bug", after my Granddaughter. When I built it, I told her it was hers and mine - as she ages into it I age out of it. She's 7 now, and paddled it herself this summer for a bit. I expect that in a couple of years, she's gonna shove the old man overboard and paddle off.

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
My buddy and I had an unofficial name for his aluminum tub; Spade Diamond.

Here's the story. I think we were paddling the Blackwater River in Florida. The particular section we were on had lots of locals. You know the scene. A bunch of drunk rowdy folks flipping over every 5 minutes, zig-zagging down the river. Well, we came to a bend in the river and there was a big traffic jam as this group was trying to pull off to drink, pee, puke, whatever. So Greg and I sped through the obstacle course with style and grace, trying to minimize our interaction with the group. As we passed, one of the drunk guys, obviously impressed with our skills said (with a very thick Southern/Floridian drawl): "Yawl some spade diamonds." At least that's what it sounded like to us. 8)

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
I call my small rowboat the Nymph, and the large one the Roar - that's the names the designer gave them, and I didn't get attatched enough to either of them to give them their own names.

I think I'll call my Pirogue "Das Boot"

George

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Yep,
I named a few and others - I never really thought about it.

I called my Wadefish "Kadaitchi" after an aboriginal spirit.

Kadaitchi219Small.jpg

My Touring Pirogue "Bunyip" after a mythical swamp creature similar to your Big Foot.

Poona11-11-0635Small.jpg

My Southwind "Southern Cross" after the constellation visible in the southern hemisphere and sacred to all Australians.

IMGP0790640x480015.jpg

And Sasquatch, simply "Sas" for short

044640x480.jpg

Mutinousdoug

May 7, 2005
Colorado
I have resisted naming my boat, maybe for fear I'd make a mistake like John Kerry naming his(wife's) boat: Scaramouche
I'm leaning to: Minotaur (Greek man/Bull beast)
Or:
Monitor, after the Union Ironclad of "Battle of Hampton Roads" fame.
(I don't know what's with the "M" thing.)
It's not THAT big unless you are trying to get on/off the roof of my SUV.

Doug