My SECOND Pirogue... | SouthernPaddler.com

My SECOND Pirogue...

fenix1

Apr 21, 2012
Noble, Louisiana
Been a while since i've been here and am really glad to be back. Have missed you all. Am bout ta build my Second Pirogue and this time i want ta get it right. Built my first last year, turned out far from perfect but it floats and it doesn't leak. Has served me well. Only trouble is the Middle Ribs came unglued a couple of weeks ago as i was getting in her and had to put Corner Braces on the inside and a couple of Screws on each side of the outside. Got only 1 question for ya all. I used "Elmers" Wood Glue on the Ribs and Stems when i fastened the sides to the Stems. Is there a "trick to glueing the Ribs like maybe glueing the Middle Ribs first and waiting till it cures before glueing the others...i mean like one set of Ribs at a time? Apparently i "squeezed the Glue out of them when i fastened the sides to the Stems. Or did i just use the wrong Glue? Just wondering. Want to try and get this Build right. Anyway, on another "note", i live in Louisiana and i hung 2 "Trotlines" out with 72 Hooks last week. I caught bout 180 pounds of Catfish and got 90 pounds of "Filets" and a few pounds more of Rib and Belly Meat. A week ago the local Grocer had "Filets" on sale for $4.50 a pound. Today i went to the Grocer and they'd "jacked" the price up to $6.00! Unbelievable considering that little Town is just a few miles from Toledo Bend Reservoir! Anyway, left my Trotlines out for 4 days and that little Boat has paid for itself twice! Thinking about going out in the morning and not fishing...but just enjoying paddling around the lake. That little Boat has brought me more happiness than i ever could have imagined. Thank you ALL for making it even better...

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Not sure about the others but the ones that have been on here for quite a while when we mention glue it is referring to Epoxy and not the normal glues like Elmer's.
In my builds and advice to anyone when I say glue it is epoxy unless a wood glue is specially mentioned. I have used some wood glue in the past as a temporary way of holding some boards together when using strips of wood to make panels for a boat I was building. As soon as I could that wood glue was gone over with epoxy to make sure the wood strips would stay attached before glassing them.
It was the stripper Pirogue I made to prove it could be done.
March 2006 viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2417&hilit=stripper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Nice catch. :)
I have had good results with Titebond III wood glue. No glue or epoxy will hold if the joint is over tightened and the adhesive is pushed out. A small lap joint may have failed even had the glue held.
Part of the failure may be the joint and ribs are too small to resist the forces exerted on them.
See some made by Keith and seedtick.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6295&hilit=RIBS&start=45
If the joint bears most of the spreading and compressing forces placed on the sides it has to be strong.
Stronger gunnels , rub rails, a stiffer hull material all can make a lot of difference. The addition of a tumblehome panel adds much strength, could eliminate the need for ribs.
One more thought, I'm not sure if Elmer's Wood Glue is rated "water proof". That may not have been your problem, but I wood not chance using it if, it is not rated ok.

beekeeper