My first posting fall canoe trip in virginia | SouthernPaddler.com

My first posting fall canoe trip in virginia

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
That is a nice movie of your trip and I really enjoyed sharing in your trip but I do have one complaint... Not being a complainer , BUT... the kid at the concession area told me they were out of the Buttered Pop Corn. :roll:

Looks like you guys had a great trip , it is a shame you did not have enough to eat. "O"Well sometimes you do get hungry on a trip. I bet the 1st thing you did after getting off the river was to hit a restaurant to make up for all the meals skipped ( missed ) along the river. :lol:

After watching the video I can understand why you like the traditional Aluminum canoe on that stream. Those rapids and all the rocks would make me really nervous in my 1/8 th inch wood and glass canoe. I would of been walking it a lot. I trust you did sample some fried fish after getting those good looking bass , nothing is better then a fresh fish dinner while relaxing on a river bank.

That one shot of the river with all the exposed rocks looked like a puzzle on which way to go threw them and survive.

I like your style of camping , the old fashion way where you can enjoy the surroundings but I am spoiled and like a hammock up off the ground. Especially down here where there are all sorts of creepy crawly things that do bite. By the way ..who got stuck with carrying the poles for the shelter?
One benefit about your camping , on a cool night a fire in front of the shelter would keep things nice and warm in there for you.

I wasn't going to mention this but I see by your headgear (hats ) that you would fit right in with myself and a lot of others that I go camping with. Also a lot of us are really good at doing the , where did all this water in the boat come from , it is nothing to have to do some bailing after paddling. If it isn't from some waves then it is from rain or even having a side of the canoe dip a wee bit to low , especially is the white water.

Chuck......

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Looks like you guys had a nice trip. I too wondered where those really long poles were stashed.
Seeing your camp bowls reminds me, I have a new camp dish (plate/bowl) to try out this spring. It's a plastic Frisbee with a flat top. A rounded top wouldn't stand steady when inverted; this one will. Should make a good plate/bowl/Frisbee combo.
Do you use Zatarain's breading for those fish?