my first mistake | SouthernPaddler.com

my first mistake

Scooter

If you can call it that. I got this huge 16-foot piece of ply for the floor and nowhere to put it! Shoulda just butt jointed the two 8-footers at a rib, that woulda been better (or just as good as) scarfing. It's too wet and windy to store outside and my shop is just barely big enough to build a 15 foot pirogue.

Guess I could saw it in two, but can't bring myself to do that yet. :( It's a fine scarf, especially considering it's one of my first.
crowdedshop.JPG

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
Hi Scooter,

Same deal here mate! I worked out that my workshop space was just over 16'. The trouble is I need to be able to work on the boat so went for just over 14' and cut the sheets down before glueing the butt joints.

I still can't decide wether I should have tried for the full length. It looks big in the workshop but less so on the lawn!
pir_side1.jpg

That's it with the outer rails gluing - I used Gorilla polyeurethane glue for this, seemed to do the trick.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend double steve,

Iz that boat pink? Didnt ya see Deliverance? 8)

regards
bearridge

There is much to be said in favor of modern journalism. By giving us the opinions of the uneducated, it keeps us in touch with the ignorance of the community. Oscar Wilde

Scooter

Kayak Jack said:
Try laying the boat on an angle with one end low and the other high. Slant range should gain you the needed length.
Yeah I think so. Also gonna remove a few things temporarily, or even permanently. Good opportunity to toss some junk. Should free up a foot or two, then angled a bit should do it.

Some luan looks peachy pink to me, but the darn stuff looks pretty good finished, have ta say.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Scooter,

Bein' frum Tennessee, ya know Burt 'n seen Deliverance. :wink:

regards
bearridge

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. Douglas Adams

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
Hi Friend Bearridge,
Looks a little pink while dry, paler tan on the inside.

When epoxied it looks great, it is less pink and the grain shows nicely. My bow paddler and crew member (6yr old son) wants to paint it red on the outside. I don't know if we will go that far!

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
My wife has suggested that we offer to paint the next one (my wife likes boats and has obviously decided that we won't just build the one!).